Women's Soccer Team Steamrolls Army, 4-0

The women’s soccer team had to wait two years to exact revenge on the Black Knights of Army, a fact that made yesterday afternoon’s dominating 4-0 victory all the sweeter. In 2001, the Red fell to Army, 3-2, in overtime.

“When we scored, we took over,” said senior forward Emily Knight, who notched her ninth goal of the season.

The Red had control from the start of the match, despite blistering winds that knocked down their goal kicks and high passes as if they were hitting a brick wall. Amazingly, the conditions didn’t rattle Cornell at all. On the contrary, after a few quick adjustments, the Red played as if oblivious to environment — it scored two goals in each half both with and against the wind.

“Normal one-touch passes had to become quick two-touch passes and balls in the air died, but we adjusted quickly and played our game,” said Knight.

“We dominated both halves of the game,” said sophomore forward Shannon Fraser. “[The wind] didn’t make any difference.”

Knight put the Red on the board in the 22nd minute. After streaking behind two Army defenders, she received a pass from freshman midfielder Jess Snyder that split the defense. Knight turned toward the goalmouth and fired a shot into the left side of the net.

“Jess sent an amazing ball right through the defenders,” said Knight. “The pass was right on; the goal wouldn’t have happened if it wasn’t.”

The assist was Snyder’s third in as many games. As a freshman, she has been solid in the midfield for the Red and contributed positively throughout the season.

“It’s been really fun. The team makes it easy for me to play,” said Snyder. “I’ve never felt like a freshmen out there, and that’s a tribute to them.”

The next two Cornell goals were scored by sophomore midfielder Kara Ishikawa, who was assisted by fellow sophomores Fraser and midfielder Ali Gombar. The scoring flurry marked a breakout for the speedy winger.

“She played a great game,” said Fraser. “She’s having such a great season and makes a big difference for us on the field.”

Fraser got a goal of her own in the 72nd minute on a pass from senior defender and tri-captain Lindsay Rovegno. The assist was Rovegno’s first collegiate point.

“Lindsay chipped it over the defense and I headed the ball over the keeper’s head,” said Fraser. “It was a great ball; we’re all really happy for Lindsay. She’s worked so hard and she deserves it.”

After tying Ivy juggernaut Harvard last Saturday and with a match against Yale on the horizon, yesterday’s game against Army (8-7-0) could have been dangerous had the Red looked past the Black Knights. But the team knows that in order to contend for the Ivy League title and secure a berth in postseason play, every game counts.

“We have to step up every game; we said it in the locker room before Harvard and we reiterated it before Army,” said Knight. “We need to focus on what we do, not what they do. That’s how we’ve been winning games.”

“In the past,” added Fraser, “we’ve just sort of walked through games after a big win. If we’re going to be a good team, we need to put it together every game. We did that today and I think it’s something that’s going to stay with this team.”

The Red (7-2-2) travels to New Haven, Conn. this Saturday to take on Yale (6-5-1).

Archived article by Per Ostman