Golf Ends Autumn Play at Invitational

It was the end of the beginning for the Red golfers. It was also a sign that winter is on its way to Ithaca, and that golfing won’t resume until the end of March.

The “it” was in Binghamton — the NBT Bank Collegiate Classic — where the golf team finished its fall season eighth out of 11 squads. The Red’s score of 308 on the second day of competition was two strokes better than its first day total. Still, strong surges by Canisius and Binghamton Green dropped the Red from a sixth-place tie down to its eighth-place finish, with a final score of 618.

Junior Kevin Scelfo spoke of the team’s efforts.

“We played really well considering the inclement weather,” he said, “and we really stepped it up the second day.”

Binghamton, who overcame a two stroke deficit to Central Connecticut State after the first day, won the tournament with a score of 595. The Red was right in the thick of things, with the fourth place team finishing just eight strokes better . Its next closest competitor was Fordham, who accumulated 18 more strokes than the Red.

The winning score by an individual was 145, shot by Binghamton’s Joe Kunz who defeated Matt Cormack of Central Connecticut State and Josh Anderson of St. Bonaventure in a playoff.

Freshman Greg Peterson led the way for Cornell because of a strong score of 73 on the second day. The freshman’s first-ever tournament ended up also being his first-ever, top-10 finish. His performance on the second day moved him up 15 spots to finish in a tie for eighth place overall.

Kevin Scelfo’s two day total of 152, left him tied for 13th, and just one stroke back of Peterson. Senior Chris Rogalski and sophomore Andrew Turker were tied with Peterson after the first day, and finished with scores of 156 and 159, respectively. Junior Billy Grover also shot a 159 after a solid score of 78 on the second day, and sophomore Andy Silwa was just one stroke off with a 160.

The Red’s success on the second day was due to a unique strategy. Because the weather was cool and damp, the Red needed something to get it warmed up before its round started.

“The warm milk that we drank before the second day really pulled us through, and we were able to play well despite the conditions,” noted Scelfo.

The Red’s next action won’t be for another five months, when it travels to Maryland to compete in the Towson Invitational. Yet, that is not keeping the team from looking ahead to the Ivy Championships.

As Scelfo puts it, “We haven’t finished very well in the Ivy recently. This year we have the team to bring us out of the cellar.”

Archived article by Chris Mascaro