Seven Hours of Football Goodness

“I know fans can win the game. I’ve seen it, I’ve felt it, I’ve tasted it. I know you make the game,” or so professed Michael Vick in a recent Coca Cola commercial. There is much truth to Vick’s words, and they have special significance this weekend. Why? Well, in case you’ve been living under a rock, this Saturday is homecoming, and homecoming means football.

If you only go to the football game at Schoellkopf, however, you’ll be missing two other great football matches (soccer for you Yanks) taking place over on the pitch at Berman Field. The men’s and the women’s squads are both home, so that means you have the opportunity to watch seven hours of football live. There are also a number of other teams who will be home this weekend, so don’t count on getting any work done.

Friday

John Reif Memorial Run: Moakley Cross Country Course

Home cross country meets are few and far between, and this will be your last chance to see the harriers in action this season. The top runners will be rested as they prepare for Heps on the 31st, allowing the younger members of the squad a chance to get some experience. For those of you who don’t know where the Moakley Course is, it’s around the Robert Trent Jones golf course up on North Campus.

Saturday

Women’s Soccer vs. Brown: Berman Field, 11 a.m.

Emily Knight and Shannon Fraser have been giving opposing goalies headaches all year, while both of our goalies, Katie Thomas and Katrina Matlin, have goals against averages below one. After falling in double overtime last week to Yale, the team is looking to build some momentum with a win against Brown (a.k.a. the color of * WARNING: word cut by editor*, feel free to yell that at the game).

Football vs. Brown: Schoellkopf Field, 1 p.m.

The football team will beat Brown, and you can quote me on that. You can help contribute to the winning effort by yelling till you can’t you breathe. Your goal should be to recreate the atmosphere of Michigan Stadium in Schoellkopf. If you need help with this, talk to President Lehman ’77, he’s been there. Don’t think that you won’t have an impact on the game. If the crowd roar is deafening, then the Brown offensive line will not hear the snap count, and will commit numerous penalties. This has already happened this season in the opener against Bucknell, and you can make it happen again.

Men’s Soccer vs. Brown: Berman Field, 7 p.m.

This will be the best Ivy game you will see this season. The team has already knocked off defending Ivy champ Penn and No. 16 Yale, and are currently undefeated in league play. Brown is the only other undefeated team in the league, so the winner of this match will have a leg up on the league’s automatic bid to the NCAA College Cup.

Here’s a “Did You Know?” ala Sportscenter, what school did the World Cup head and assistant coaches, Bruce Arena and Dave Sarachan, graduate from? The answer of course is Cornell. Arena’s ’73 contract as head coach was recently renewed through 2006. As head coach of the MLS’s DC United, Arena led the team to two MLS titles, and most impressively, an Interamerican Cup win. Sarachan ’76 was the previous Cornell head coach, and is currently the head of the MLS’s Chicago Fire, which won its third U.S. Open Cup title this past Saturday.

Men’s Hockey vs. US U-18 Team: Lynah Rink, 7 p.m.

Ok, we all know the hockey team is good, so I won’t waste any more space writing about them.

Men’s Polo vs. Valley Forge Military Academy: Oxley Equestrian Center, 8:15 p.m.

Many of you probably do not know that the Cornell polo teams are among the best in the nation, with the women’s team winning the past four national titles. If you’ve never been to a polo game before, this is your chance. Oxley is located next to Reis Tennis Center on Pine Tree Road near East Hill Plaza.

As you can see, this will be a busy weekend for Cornell athletics, so try to make it to as many games as you can. You only get four Homecoming weekends as a student, so be sure you make the most of this one.

Archived article by Jonathan Auerbach