Army Marches Over Sprints

On Friday night at Schoelkopf Field, the sprint football team played its final regular season game against Army. The team went into the contest with high hopes, but was unable to stop the high-powered Army offense and was defeated 42-22.

“We played pretty well, definitely better than the score reflected. It was really a few costly mistakes that hurt us,” senior captain Bill Mascaro said.

The loss brought the Red’s final record to 2-4 and also brought an end to the careers of many key seniors, like Mascaro. While the final game was a difficult loss, the effort put forth by the Red was promising.

The game was an uphill battle for the Red, who trailed early, 21-3. Army came out strong and for much of the first half, the Red had no answer. The tough start did not deter the Red, and the team battled for the entire game. After the slow start, the teams played evenly for the remainder of the game in the back-and-forth battle.

One of the highlights of the first half was Mascaro’s 68-yard fumble recovery and return for a touchdown. On the play, sophomore defensive end Nick English knocked the ball loose from the quarterback and Mascaro picked it up and took it the distance.

The Red went into halftime down 28-10. For most of the second half, the teams matched each other score for score, and while the Red offense was able to put numerous strong drives together, it was never able to get closer than 10 points.

“This was a pretty tough last game,” said Mascaro. “Football means a lot to the guys, and we all care about the team a lot”.

For the seniors, this was without a doubt an emotional game. Mascaro was not the only senior to go out with a strong performance, however, as senior receiver Henry Kim, who has had a terrific season, saved his best performance for his last game. The Red, who greatly relied on the passing game because it was trying to come back, needed a big game from Kim. That was exactly what it got, as Kim had 12 catches for 177 yards and one touchdown. The need for the Red to turn to the passing game also led to a season high 341 passing yards for the quarterback tandem of freshman Nick LiVigne and sophomore Alec Macaulay.

On the defensive side of the ball, senior Ryan Walker had four tackles and two sacks. Freshman defensive lineman Derek Johnson was also a key contributor with a team-leading nine tackles. The Red made what would be its final push when it scored in the fourth quarter to bring the score to 35-22. But Army came back to score again and put the game out of reach with another score making the final score 42-22.

Archived article by Nick Raho