Field Hockey Suffers Loss

“By the end of the game, it was more sad that it was our last game, not that we had lost,” said senior Lindsay Grace. Grace, an All-Ivy second team pick from a year ago, had never lost to Colgate in her career. Until Saturday.

The Red lost a close battle to the Raiders, 2-0, in its last home game of the season. Two second half goals in a two-minute stretch were the difference, as the Raiders improved their record to 6-10 on the season. The game winner was netted by sophomore Amy Dudley off of a deflection, and the game was put out of reach by classmate Lyndsay Dinatelli. Both goals were unassisted.

Yet, as usual for the Red, it dominated in every statistic except the final score. It outshot Colgate 11-7 and had a tremendous advantage in penalty corners, 10-2, but could not find the goal.

“The options were there, we just couldn’t put it in,” said Grace.

Kaitlin Tierney made four stops for the Red in the losing effort, and Jacque DeMarco had seven saves for the Raiders.

With its fifth straight loss, the Red falls to 3-12 on the season going into its last game of the season at Dartmouth.

Last season, the Red fell at the hands of Dartmouth, 3-1. The Red will look to avoid the same outcome, and earn a victory against an Ivy opponent, something it has only done once this season.

Last season the Red finished with a 9-8 mark, going 3-4 against Ivy opponents and had high hopes for this season. Yet, as Grace notes, “It’s hard to adjust to a new coach and a new system.”

Archived article by Chris Mascaro