OT Goal Lifts Lady Icers to Win

The Red finished overtime with just one shot. Luckily for them, it went in.

Sophomore Pearle Nerenberg netted a goal with just under a minute left in overtime to give the Red a preseason victory over the Mississauga Junior team, 2-1. The goal came on a feed by rookie Caroline Scott, and was the 29th shot of the game for the Red, compared with Mississauga’s 20.

The goal was scored on goaltender Ashley Carney, who made two saves in the contest, while Mississagua’s Ortis made 25 stops.

The Chiefs tallied the first goal of the game in the second period when Kori Cheverie scored off a pass from Amanda Dittmer. The goal went by Cornell’s freshmen goalie, Sarah McConnachie, who finished the game with seven saves. McConnachie’s classmate Beth Baronik also added seven stops, while sophomore Flora Vineberg made five.

The goalie situation is still up in the air for the Red, but freshman Caroline Scott tried to shed some light on the situation.

“I know Flora’s style very well after playing with her on the Aeros two years ago, she is a solid goalie,” she said.

But the two freshmen have proven themselves as well, and will get some ice time.

A pair of sophomores tied the game back up at one apiece in the third period, as Vicki Hodgkinson rifled the puck past the Chiefs goalie. Assisting on the play was sophomore Jen Munhofen.

The Red’s special teams were solid in killing all five of their penalties, but could not score on either of their two power plays.

The Red is looking forward to its first contest of the season against Colgate on Friday at Lynah Rink. Last season, the Red played the Raiders to a 1-1 tie and then got shut out, 3-0, in a home-and-home series. The Red finished its preseason with 1-0-1 record against two of the top junior teams of Canada, and hope to improve on its 4-21-3 record and a first round exit from the ECAC tournament a year ago.

“I’m feeling a bit nervous, but hopefully once I hit the ice that will all go away,” Scott mentioned. “(Coach Davidson) keeps telling us that we are going to surprise many teams this year.”

Archived article by Chris Mascaro