M. Soccer Looks to Stop Losing Streak

The Cornell men’s soccer team (5-7-1, 2-2-1 Ivy) will look to end its losing streak when it battles Dartmouth (5-8-2, 0-5-0) on Sunday in Hanover, N.H. The Red has lost its last four matches, including a heartbreaker in double overtime to Princeton last week. Dartmouth has struggled in the Ivy League, and has yet to garner a win in the conference.

However, Cornell is not overlooking this weekend’s contest against the Green. Dartmouth is coming off of a comeback win against Holy Cross last week. The Green was down 2-0 in the second half and managed to score three straight goals to close out the game, 3-2. Dartmouth seniors Matt LaBarre, Damien Quinn, and Rob Daly each scored in the game. Trio will look to provide the Red with a serious challenge Sunday.

Cornell will pull out its usual bag of tricks against Dartmouth. After four games without a win, this team will be hungry. Cornell was unsuccessful against Princeton last week when a desperation 3-5-2 pattern proved fruitless. The Red failed to grab the second goal it needed for the win. With the Red defense susceptible, the Tigers took advantage and closed out the game.

Cornell will have several key players to mark on the Green. Indeed, LaBarre, Quinn, and Daly, all goal-scorers the other night will be a factor; however, the Green’s depth does not end there. After all, this is the same team that ascended to No. 25 in the national rankings only about a month and a half ago after having its best start since 1987 after going unbeaten for six straight games. Expect to see strong play from several of the Green’s excellent recruiting class, including freshman Mark Limpert, who has been absolutely on fire this season.

If the Red can counter, it will require both the defense and junior goaltender David Mahoney to return to their all-star level of play that they were providing earlier this season. Mahoney and the defense have struggled as of late, with perhaps the best example taking place in the Red’s 4-0 loss to the Syracuse Orangemen.

Archived article by Michael Pandolfini