M. Soccer Shut Out by Dartmouth

Late-season frustration continued for the men’s soccer team yesterday, as Dartmouth extended the Red’s losing streak to five games with a 2-0 win at Chase Field in Hanover, N.H. The Green (6-8-2, 1-5-0) scored only 2:23 into the contest and the Red (5-8-1, 2-3-1 Ivy) was never able to return the favor. Cornell’s current five-game losing streak immediately follows a five-game unbeaten streak that saw the Red improve its record to 5-3-1, including a perfect 2-0 in conference play.

In the loss, the Red once again was the beneficiary of a strong effort by junior goalkeeper David Mahoney. Mahoney made five saves in the match, keeping the Red close throughout.

“David’s been strong for us all year,” said freshman forward Nick Leonard. “He made some huge saves on some great shots and he kept us in the game.”

Sean Eaton scored Dartmouth’s first goal of the game, receiving a pass from forward Matt LaBarre. Despite taking five shots in the first half, Cornell was unable to hit the back of the net, and remained behind 1-0 heading into halftime.

“The first goal was a breakdown in the back,” said Leonard. “We weren’t able to clear the ball, and finally one of their players was able to get a foot on it and direct it into the goal.”

The Red gave up the early goal in the second half when Dartmouth’s leading scorer Rob Daly notched his 10th goal of the year on an assist by Amar Takhar. The Red managed seven shots in the second half, but again failed to capitalize.

The Green broke a losing streak of its own, winning its first Ivy League match of the season.

This match was marked by a great deal of physical play, resulting in two yellow cards and a red card to each squad. The referees struggled to control the game, not particularly knowing when to give out cards, Leonard said.

“I’d say it was a physical game not unlike most of the Ivy League games,” explained Leonard. “Both teams were playing physical and wanted to win.”

Junior Steve Reuter received Cornell’s first yellow card late in the first half, while Mahoney garnered the team’s second late in the second half. Junior Peter Lynch received a red card along with LaBarre at 87:24.

“LaBarre grabbed Lynch and tried throwing him to the ground,” said Leonard. “I don’t think either player was particularly deserving of a red card.”

The Red will attempt to put an end to its skid when it returns home this Wednesday for its penultimate match of the season against Hartwick.

“You really have to play for pride,” said Leonard. “We may not have any post season to play for but you definitely want to play your best, especially at home.”

Archived article by Michael Pandolfini