McKinney to Arrive At C.U. Next Week

Former Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney (D — Ga.) makes her maiden voyage to Cornell next week as a Frank H.T. Rhodes Class of ’56 Professor. McKinney will lecture on Wednesday and participate in a panel discussion on American foreign policy on Thursday. She has also been invited to speak to 11 classes throughout the week.

“My expectation is that at the end of the day, her visit will encourage spirited, engaged disagreement,” said President Jeffrey S. Lehman ’77 in an interview with The Sun yesterday.

Tomorrow at 9 a.m., two tickets per person will be distributed at the Straight ticket office for the free and public lecture. The Wednesday, Nov. 19 lecture, “Frontline Females: Military Women and Civilian America,” will be held in the Statler Auditorium and is scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m.

The Thursday panel, “U.S. Foreign Policy: What are we and what are we to become,” from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in 265 Statler Hall is also free and open to the public. The panel will be moderated by Prof. Salah Hassan, history of art and Africana, Prof. Peter Katzenstein, the Walter S. Carpenter Jr. Professor of International Studies, Prof. Elizabeth Sanders, government and James Turner, Africana. Hassan, Katzenstein, Sanders and Turner all signed a Feb. 2002 Cornell Forum for Justice and Peace statement for the “Week Against the War.”

McKinney will visit Prof. Isaac Kramnick’s “American Politics from Madison to Malcom X,” but might also include visits to classes from Verse Writing to “The American City” and “Black Leaders and Movements in African American History.”

McKinney departs on Friday, Nov. 21.

Archived article by Peter Norlander