Students Invited to Dine With M. Cagers

On Sunday, Nov. 23 at 3 p.m., the men’s basketball team tips off the 2003-2004 campaign in Newman Arena. Tomorrow, from 6-8 p.m., the men’s basketball team will be eating dinner. This year, students are encouraged to attend both events.

Tomorrow night at Appel Commons, the average Cornell student will have the chance to rub shoulders with senior captain Ka’Ron Barnes, sophomore Lenny Collins, and the rest of the men’s hoop squad. This is a chance for Cornell to get to know the players they’ll be cheering this year, and for students to get excited about the upcoming season. Giveaways will include T-shirts and basketballs, while the dining stations will boast several basketball themed entrees.

“We want the students to get the sense of the Red Zone,” said chairman of basketball marketing David Krauter.

The Red Zone, of course, is the student section of Newman Arena, where fans don special red shirts for the game. This year, the team has revamped the section. There are brand new shirts, designed by students, as well as new expectations of the Red Zone fans.

“We want to make a hostile environment for opposing teams,” said Krauter. “It’s going to be a mosh pit during the game; we want a rowdy crowd.”

Reminiscent of Penn’s Dawg Pound, the Izzoners of Michigan State, and Duke’s Cameron Crazies, the Red Zone will be the most exciting place to watch Cornell basketball this season. Unlike past years, however, simply showing your student ID at the gates will not grant you access. The ID card will still admit you to the game, but to sit in the Red Zone you’ll have to acquire special tickets — while supplies last.

“We’ll be handing out the Red Zone tickets starting at 5 p.m. on Sunday at Appel,” said Krauter. “They’re free for students. A Cornell ID will get you two tickets.”

Membership to the Red Zone has its perks. Beside the electric atmosphere, students in the Red Zone will be eligible for prizes, including Cornell basketball T-shirts, the opportunity to take a half-court shot for money, and round-trip tickets on JetBlue. And, of course, each student will be given an official Red Zone shirt.

The first chance to be a part of the new, improved Red Zone is at 3 p.m. on Nov. 23rd, when the Red hosts ACC stalwart Georgia Tech. The game will be nationally televised on College Sports TV, starting the legacy of the Red Zone. The first chance to meet the team is for dinner tomorrow at Appel Commons, continuing the legacy of interesting food at Cornell.

“All the guys are excited to be there and meet everyone,” said Krauter. “We want to get everyone in the spirit.”

Archived article by Per Ostman