Riders Place Second

After stunning the field with a first-place finish at last weekend’s Hartwick Show, the equestrian team was looking to build upon one of the best starts in the program’s history. On Saturday, at the Morrisville Show, the Red rode almost flawlessly. Unfortunately for Cornell, first-place finisher, Skidmore, was perfect.

“Skidmore brought kids we had never heard of before,” said Mitchell. “They pulled kids out of the woodwork. They needed to have a perfect day to beat us. Unfortunately, they did.”

The Red came away with 43 points, finishing a close second to Skidmore in a field of eight teams. The Skidmore squad had a perfect day, finishing with 49 points.

“[This shows] that we can’t rest on our laurels until next spring,” said head coach Chris Mitchell.

The Red had a very successful weekend by most standards.

In the Open fences competition, sophomore Asta Torokvei earned a fourth-place finish, and senior co-captain Erica Rosen placed third in their respective sections. Junior Samara Ringer and sophomore Angie Barclay competed in the same section and finished fourth and fifth for the Red. Senior co-captain Jeannette Pettit was the point rider in this division, and earned a second-place finish to score for the Red.

Senior Alaina Hoffman started off the Intermediate fences with a first-place showing. Sophomore Alex Hurd earned another first, while point rider Gillian Pech earned second place in her section.

In Novice fences, freshman Regina Salvat finished third in her collegiate debut. Senior Eva Conant finished fifth for her section. Point rider Laura Acker, another freshman, earned a first-place finish for the Red.

At this point, the Red realized the mental errors of the early competition would begin to show in overall standings.

“Everyone picked it up from there,” said Mitchell, as the Red went into the next round of events with fresh enthusiasm and focus.

The Red started well in the Open flats competition. Rosen and point rider Torokvei both earned first-place honors, with Pettit and Barclay earning third-place finishes in their individual sections.

Sophomore transfer Christina Tasho started off Intermediate flats with a win. Hurd and point rider Pech both earned second-place finishes in this division.

The Red earned a second-place finish from senior Erin Goodrich, a win from sophomore Mary Slocum and a fourth-place showing from senior Emi Knafo in the Novice flats division. Point rider Acker also earned a first-place finish. This performance earned her a ride-off for high point honors of the day. After a strong ride, she was declared Reserve High Point Rider of the Day with the second highest total for the show.

The two Cornell riders in the walk-trot-canter division swept their sections. Both sophomore point rider Lindsey Quick and junior Caitlin O’Shea rode off with first-place finishes.

The walk-trot division saw strong performances from the Red despite the nerves of first-time competitors, as sophomore Kristen Kotran placed sixth and freshman Krystal Wan finished third. Experienced senior Jes Enes also earned fifth place for the Red.

“We have to work on endurance. We have to stay determined,” Mitchell said of the team’s plan for its next show.

The Red will face travel to its rival Skidmore for a show on Nov. 22.

Archived article by Olivia Dwyer