Around the Ivy League

Penn officially clinched its second consecutive Ivy title with its win over Harvard. Now, with one weekend left, it will come down to the race for second place.

Brown 26, Dartmouth 21

A fourth quarter comeback led by Brown running back Nick Hartigan sent Dartmouth plunging to its sixth consecutive defeat against its rival from Providence.

Facing a 21-14 deficit with over 10 minutes to play, a Hartigan 25-yard touchdown run pushed the Bears to within one, before Brown quarterback Kyle Slager passed for 55 yards in the decisive, game-winning drive. Slager completed 27-of-53 passes for 336 yards.

Yale 27, Princeton 24 (2OT)

An 11-play, 92-yard Yale drive capped off by a Chandler Henley touchdown reception with no time left in regulation postponed any potential Princeton victory festivities. An overtime period later, the Bulldogs were the ones celebrating.

Yale quarterback Alvin Cowan’s 22-yard pass to Henley in the end zone was the key play in a drive which started with only 1:03 remaining.

Princeton quarterback Matt Verbit threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to Jon Veach on the first play in overtime. However, a fumble by recovered by Yale in the extra period sealed the Tigers’ fate.

Ranked second in Division I-AA in total offense with 481 yards per game, Yale was outgained by the Tigers 442-264. Cowan completed 21-of-44 passes for 235 yards and three touchdowns. The quarterback also led the team with 61 rushing yards.

Penn 32, Harvard 24

Looking unstoppable throughout the season, Penn continued its torrid undefeated streak by knocking out Harvard and clinching its second consecutive Ivy League title.

Riding a 14-game winning streak stretching from last year, Penn started out quickly, scoring three touchdowns and a two-point conversion to make the score 22-0.

The Crimson made a desperate comeback in the fourth quarter, with a Matt Fratto five-yard reception and a Clifton Dawson one-yard run.

But Harvard’s comeback fell short after Penn’s linebacker Steve Lhotak pulled down Frotto on the Quakers’ six-yard line as time expired.

Penn quarterback Mike Mitchell completed 21-of-35 passes for 271 yards and Lhotak had a game-high 16 tackles and 4.5 sacks to lead the Quaker defense.

Archived article by Brian Tsao