Campus Couture

Tis the season for Christmas trees, mistletoe, and holiday parties galore. It might be a time for giving, but who says you can’t do a little shopping for yourself too? It’s been a long semester; you know you deserve it. Between all the Greek formals and Christmas/New Year’s holiday soirees, it’s hard to resist splurging on some sort of dressy party-wear. Whether it’s satin, sequins, or silk, you’re sure to find a style among the season’s party wear that will make you look and feel like a million bucks.

Christmas Colors

It wouldn’t be Christmas without a red dress. This straight, wide-strapped, satin version is nothing extravagant, but it’s still very elegant. The color alone is a standout, so keep it simple. After all, this is the season of generosity — you certainly wouldn’t want to put everyone else at the party to shame.

Little Black Dress

When in doubt, go with the little black dress. It’s completely appropriate for any formal occasion, from dinner to dancing. This gorgeous silk version has a unique shoulder-tie and a few ruffles to mix it up a bit.

Pretty in Pink

If thinking about party wear makes you flash back to the good old days of playing dress up, now’s your chance to regress. You can be a grownup and still bring back the girly side — this pink chiffon dress proves it. Pair it with some adult (i.e. stiletto) shoes and a glamorous necklace, and you’ll have the best of both worlds.

Twinkling Top

Jewels have the ability to dress anything up, even your run-of-the-mill halter-top. The sparkling flowery details make this a bit dressier than your usual Friday night going-out deal. Wear it with pants or a skirt and you’re ready for any formal occasion.

Party Pants

What is the difference between formal pants and party pants? Party pants actually make you shine. Pair a set of satin or silk pants with some heels and a shimmering top and you’ll be ready for a New York style night out — too cold for bare legs!

Sparkling Skirt

Even through the winter season, miniskirts are still all the rage. So why not make it a holiday party style too? What better way to ring in the New Year than with a sexy little sequin skirt that’s sure to get lots of attention. Play it up with a plain top, or if you’re feeling a bit more daring, go for the full ensemble.

Archived article by Laura Borden