W. Hockey Faces Old Foes

photo
In a season where the women’s hockey team has compiled a 3-12-1 overall record, including 1-9-1 in ECAC play, it would be easy to dismiss the Red early and start planning for spring break. But talk to any member of the embattled squad and it’s readily apparent that not one of these tough ladies is willing to write off the season just yet.

In fact, don’t expect them to stop giving a maximum effort until the final buzzer of the final game echoes through Lynah.

Coming off a weekend in which the Red experienced both a breakthrough victory and a heartbreaking loss, the team is looking for some relief at home tomorrow and Sunday, as old foes Quinnipiac and Sacred Heart come to town. In early season matchups, the Red went undefeated against the two teams, giving it an ideal opportunity now to build some confidence heading into the final stretch of the ECAC schedule.

“We’re all really excited about this weekend,” senior forward Sarah Carter said. “We’re looking forward to our first four-point weekend of the year.”

Head coach Melody Davidson will need consistent play from every position heading into the final month of the season, beginning with sophomore goaltender Flora Vineberg. The netminder has posted a 2-9-1 record, 3.44 goals against average, and .898 save percentage at this point in the year, numbers good enough to rank her eighth among ECAC goalies.

The Red’s defense has been chipping in on the offensive front, led by junior Jamie Ramenofsky (one goal, seven assists on the season). Classmate Pearle Nerenberg leads all Red players in scoring with 13 points (five goals, eight assists), while freshman Halina Kristalyn continues to make an immediate impact (six goals, five assists), even on special teams.

The Bobcats (6-17-2) are trying to get back on track after being dismantled by Mercyhurst in two games last weekend, having been outscored 10-1 in the series. Freshman sensation Vicky Graham leads the Bobcats in scoring with 21 points, while feisty junior forward Gillian Gallagher has tallied 10 goals on the year.

“We have tied Quinnipiac and beat Sacred Heart (in the past),” Davidson said. “We are looking to build on our last three games… (we need to) play two 60 minute hockey games, minimize our mental mistakes and maximize our chances, especially offensively.”

Both the Red and the Bobcats will be looking to settle the score at Lynah tomorrow, the two teams having tied 4-4 in the first game of the home-and-home series at Northford Ice Pavilion on Nov. 22. Red sophomore Vicki Hodgkinson was a key component in the game (two goals and an assist), and Davidson will be looking for her to contribute again tomorrow.

“We need to continue playing strong, consistent hockey and focus more around the net — something we have been inconsistent at since returning from break,” said Davidson.

The Red easily dispatched the Pioneers (6-6-0) 11-1 on Nov. 21 in Milford, Conn. and hopes to continue the destruction Sunday at Lynah. Sacred Heart’s main weapon is freshman forward Michelle Panella, a Marlboro, N.J. native who is averaging nearly a goal per game.

The puck drops at 2:00 p.m. for both games.

Archived article by Kyle Sheahen