A grease fire set off smoke alarms and caused slight concern yesterday morning at a grill in Kennedy Hall’s Trillium. Nobody was injured in the fire, which occurred at around 6:12 a.m. Officials from Environmental Health and Safety, Cornell Police and Ithaca Fire Department all responded to the scene.
The fire was eventually put out by the grill’s hood system after it was reported by the cook at the scene, according to Simeon Moss, deputy director of the Cornell News Service. Local authorities at the scene did not find any damage to the grill or building. Moss said that even though the fire was relatively minor, on-site officials thoroughly checked the area before leaving at 7:15 a.m.
“If something causes the alarms and there’s enough smoke to have [authorities] come, then it is pretty standard,” Moss said in regards to the precautions taken after the fire was put out.
Kennedy Hall has not been the most auspicious place over the past few days. Besides yesterday’s fire, a water pipe broke in Call Auditorium last Wednesday morning, leading to the cancellation of classes there for the day.
Archived article by Brian Tsao