Coach Leaves Post

After Dartmouth’s men’s basketball team stumbled out to a 3-19 record, someone had to take the fall. On Monday, that someone was long-time head coach Dave Faucher, who resigned from his position effective at the end of the season.

Faucher has been the Green’s head man since the 1991-92 season, the second longest run of any current Ivy coach. Prior to taking over the reins, he served as an assistant coach on the Dartmouth bench for seven seasons.

During his tenure in Hanover, Faucher has led the Green to two second-place finishes, coming in the 1994-95 and 1996-97 seasons. In that 1996-97 season, Dartmouth also finished 18-8 overall, the most wins for the program in almost 40 years.

In his 13 seasons, Faucher has won 136 games, the most of any Dartmouth coach in the last 34 years. In fact, only two prior head men have had more success at the school: with Doggie Julian (183 wins) and Ozzie Cowles (144 wins).

After enjoying success in his first several seasons, however, Faucher and his teams have nose-dived in the last few seasons, sinking towards the bottom of the Ancient Eight. Coming into this season, not much was expected of a Dartmouth squad which went just 8-19 last year. However, the Green has failed even to meet the low bar pundits set for it, winning just one of its first eight league games. Included in those losses were a pair of 36-point blowouts at home by Columbia and, most recently, Yale this past weekend.

Archived article by Alex Ip