W. Hockey Picks Up Win, Tie Against Findlay

After losing four in a row and 10 out of its last 12 games, the women’s hockey team feels a sense of urgency heading into a stretch of conference games that will be crucial to playoff positioning.

Freshman Halina Kristalyn scored two goals and added an assist to lead the Red to a 1-1 tie and 3-1 victory this weekend against Findlay.

“We really needed a ‘W,’ and I was just glad that I was able to contribute,” Kristalyn said.

Kristalyn’s first goal of the weekend came on a power play, as she deflected a shot from junior assistant captain Jamie Ramenofsky into the net to give the Red an early 1-0 lead on Friday night. Also assisting on the play was senior Anita Khar. It was Khar’s seventh helper of the season.

Findlay’s Laura Monk scored the game-tying goal with just 36 seconds left in the second period. The shot was the only one that went past sophomore goaltender Flora Vineberg, who made 28 saves on the evening.

The game ended tied after an overtime that saw the Red control the pace of play, notching four shots on goal, while the Oilers had none.

The Red continued its strong play the next day, as it defeated Findlay, 3-1, on goals from freshman Caroline Scott, Kristalyn, and junior Maryann Nowak.

Findlay got on the board first when Tanya Truszkowski stole the puck and snuck it past Vineberg at 6:14 in the first period.

But the Red bounced back quickly, as Scott tied the game, scoring off a feed from Kristalyn a little more than 10 minutes later.

Kristalyn notched the game-winner just after the midpoint of the second period on assists from junior Pearle Nerenberg and Ramenofsky.

Ramenofky’s two assists on the weekend tied her with sophomore Jen Munhofen for the team lead in that category with 11.

“Her vision from the point is excellent,” Kristalyn said, “she’s especially dangerous on the power play.”

Nowak iced the game in the third period with an empty-net tally, giving her four goals on the season.

After the weekend’s success, the Red finds itself at 5-17-2 on the season, including 1-13-0 in the ECAC. Cornell returns to action this weekend with a pair of games against cellar-dwelling Union. The Dutchwomen are winless in conference play this season, scoring just five goals against ECAC opponents.

Archived article by Chris Mascaro