Polo Teams Face Virginia for No. 1 Ranking

The men’s and women’s polo teams head down to Virginia today in what may prove to be a preview of April’s national championship.

The women, who are coming off a victory over Michigan State last weekend, will face much stiffer competition tonight at 6 p.m. against Virginia. Furthermore, the Red will be without key starter senior Harriet Antczak, who must remain in Ithaca because of previous commitments.

Junior Lindsay Scheer will take Antczak’s spot in the lineup alongside seniors Molly Buck and Marisa Bianchi. Despite the absence of Antczak, head coach David Eldredge ’81 is confident in Scheer’s ability and does not foresee any major problems for the Red down in Virginia.

“With how we’ve played against them and how we have accomplished things, I still feel very good about this game,” Eldredge said. ” I still think we have a very good chance at winning the game.”

Today’s game will also give the Red riders a chance to get a feel for the arena and the horses that they will be riding at nationals, which is hosted this year by UVA.

Cornell has faced Virginia twice so far this year, each time coming away with wins. In their last face-off, the women looked especially impressive in a 21-9 victory over the Cavaliers.

The men’s polo team is coming off an unexpected break going into tonight’s game against Virginia. Last weekend’s match against the Valley Forge Military Academy was postponed when the wife of VFMA’s head coach went into labor three weeks early.

With two weeks’ rest under its belt, the Red will once again do battle with a Virginia team that has continually challenged Cornell this year. The last meeting between the two teams, went to a shootout, with the Red coming away with a 19-18 victory off the clutch penalty shooting of seniors Jeff Markle and Senter Johnson.

The win hs provided Cornell’s squad with a significant boost in confidence going down to Virginia.

” The guys are really looking forward to it,” commented Eldredge. ” They have a lot more confidence in themselves, and they feel more prepared going into this game then they felt going into the game a couple of weeks ago.”

Looking ahead to nationals, Eldredge sees Cornell’s and Virginia’s paths crossing once again in the finals.

“I think they’re going to be on one side of the bracket and we’re going to be on the other, and there’s a very good possibility of us meeting in the finals,” he remarked. ” The team to beat for nationals is Virginia.”

Archived article by Paul Testa