Brown Lax Unbeaten

photo
Brown

In their best season start since 1993, Brown (3-0) took another road victory, defeating Fairfield (3-1) behind junior attackman Chazz Woodson’s four goals and freshman midfielder, and Ivy League Rookie of the Week, Alex Buckley’s hat-trick.

With the Bears taking an early 2-0 lead, the Stags scored a goal before the visitors from Providence exploded for two more goals in the second period to make it 4-1. Fairfield came back towards the end of the third period, evening the score at five before Buckley had three unanswered scores, including the game-winning goal.

Senior attackman Charles Towers completed the 4-0 run started by Buckley in the fourth period, netting in a goal with 10:47 remaining. He finished the game with an assist and another goal.

Harvard

In its first game against a nationally ranked opponent, Harvard (2-1) recorded an 11-7 upset victory this weekend over No. 14 Massachusetts (2-2) in Amherst, Mass. The Crimson were led by senior attacker Anders Johnson, who had a hat trick, and senior goalie and co-Ivy League player of the week Jake McKenna (15 saves).

Trailing 5-4 at half-time, the Crimson scored eight unanswered goals after the intermission to put the game beyond UMass’ reach. The Minutemen dominated the first period, holding a 18-3 shot advantage, yet timely goaltending by McKenna kept Harvard within a goal.

In the third period, the Crimson started its charge, holding the Minutemen goaless for 26 minutes and 37 seconds until Neil Lundburg broke their drought. Lundburg scored two goals in the loss.

Penn

Riding a 9-5 mid-week victory against Lehigh, Penn (2-2) ran into trouble at West Point N.Y. this past weekend, falling to Army (3-1) 12-7. Although senior midfielder Will Phillips extended his point streak to 22 games with four goals and an assist, the Quakers could not stop the Black Knights’ offense and late-game surge.

Penn was trailing for most of the game as they fell behind 4-0 early in the game. Although Phillips scored two, the Knights extended their lead again to three goals. After it seemed that Army would take a two-goal lead into half-time, Phillips had a hand in two more Penn scores, with an assist and a tally for himself to erase the deficit.

However, Army pulled away in the end after the break, with two goals by Jim Wagner setting the tone. Senior goalie Ryan Kelly had 10 saves in the loss.

Princeton

While Princeton (2-1) is ranked seventh in the nation — ten spots above defending NCAA champion Virginia (1-4), it had been a decade since the Tigers had won in Charlottesville, Va. That fact changed on Saturday.

Led by sophomore goalie Dave Law, who was named Ivy League co-player of the week and had 15 saves over the weekend, Princeton defeated Virginia 8-7. Ryan Schoenig won nine of 12 face-offs and junior midfielder Mac Bryson and senior midfielder Drew Casino both contributed two goals to the Tiger victory. Princeton just came from a 14-5 loss to No. 1 Johns Hopkins University a week ago.

The Tigers held either one or two-goal leads for the game’s last 42:27, as Virginia had seven chances in the final five minutes to score the tying goal. Virginia player Matt Ward scored three goals in a losing cause.

Yale

In a game marked by stifling defense, Yale (3-0) dominated its regional foes, Vermont, this past weekend with a comfortable 9-2 victory in Florida. The Bulldogs were led by a hat-trick from sophomore midfielder David Schecter and two goals and an assist from his teammate, senior midfielder Ned Britt.

The Catamounts were only able to score with an extra man advantage in the first and fourth periods as three Bulldog goalies combined for eight saves. Yale recorded 34 shots against Vermont goalie Mike Gable, who finished the game with 15 saves.

Archived article by Brian Tsao