Baseball Loses Both Battles of Doubleheader to Big Green at Hoy Field

The infield dirt was brown, the sky was gray, the bases were full of Green, and the team with one run in the first game and five errors in the second was Red.

The baseball team concluded its games against the Red Rolfe division last night as it was swept by Dartmouth (14-9, 6-2 Ivy) in a doubleheader by scores of 8-1 and 13-6, respectively.

The story for the Red in game one was its ineptitude at the plate. The Red managed only four hits to Dartmouth’s 11, and Cornell scored its lone run on senior Ned VanAllan’s sacrifice fly in the fourth inning to score junior Matt Miller.

Miller, sophomores William Pauly and Seth Gordon, and freshman Kaleb Hutchinson were the only players for the Red to tally hits in the contest. All four went 1-for-3 on the day.

On the hill for the Red, junior Tad Bardenwerper started his first game of the season, but could not go the distance as he retired after four innings. Bardenwerper allowed eight hits and five runs, while walking one batter and striking out three Green hitters.

Sophomore Michael Hudson stepped on the mound for the Red in fifth and pitched three innings, striking out three, and giving up three runs in the top of the sixth.

Following that performance, Sophomore Rocky Collis took the start in the second game the series. Collis lasted just two innings, however, after he gave up four hits and two earned runs.

Freshman Blake Hamilton took over as the Red’s next hurler. Hamilton suffered the loss for the Red after pitching four innings, giving up nine hits and eight runs. Despite the loss, Hamilton’s ERA did not take much of a hit, aas the Red made five errors in the contest, decreasing his earned run count by four.

After the sixth inning, those runs amounted to an 11-1 Dartmouth lead.

Cornell’s bats finally came alive in the eighth inning, though, as the team scored four runs. The first run for the Red came on a balk, while the second was the result of a double from sophomore Michael Weiss, which scored Gordon. Senior co-captain Dan Parant doubled-in Weiss for the third run of the inning, and Parant scored on an RBI groundout by freshman Jim Hyland. Yet the rally was too little too late, as Dartmouth tacked on two more runs in the ninth to go up 13-5. The Red added its final score in the home side of the ninth, as VanAllan sent a homerun sailing over the right field fence to make the score 13-6.

Parant and Gordon each went 2-4 for the Red, accounting for half of the team’s eight hits.

With the two losses, the Red now finds itself at 4-21 on the season and 1-7 against the rest of the Ivy League. This afternoon, the team will make up a rained-out contest with LeMoyne. The Red will open its Gehrig division schedule this weekend when it travels to Philadelphia for two doubleheaders against Penn. .

Archived article by Chris Mascaro
Sun Assistant Sports Editor