Baseball to Open Gehrig Division Schedule at Penn

After losing nine in a row and 19 of its last 20, the baseball team (5-21, 1-7 Ivy) needed someone to step up. The youth of the squad did just that.

Freshman Trevor Vieweg pitched five solid innings, giving up three runs on seven hits in yesterday’s game against LeMoyne (15-12). The win, which was Vieweg’s first of the season, halted the Dolphins’ 11-game winning streak.

“I was just happy to get in the game and perform,” Vieweg said.

Yet the game didn’t start so smoothly for Vieweg, as the Dolphins jumped out to a 2-0 lead after two innings.

“In the second inning I was a little worried because they were hitting the ball hard,” Vieweg said.

The Red offense, which left 11 runners on base and struck out 12 times during the game, was able to tack on a run in the third and then four more in the fourth because of four LeMoyne errors in the inning. Sophomores Josh Foster and William Pauly both doubled in runs off of LeMoyne starter Michael Falasca, who fell to 1-2, despite giving up just one earned run in his four innings of work.

Pauly, who went 2-for-5 with two runs batted in, has been a welcome surprise for the Red, as he is batting .326 with 11 runs batted in his first season with the Red after transferring from Vanderbilt. Fellow sophomore Seth Gordon set the table for the Red, going 2-for-5 with two runs scored and a run batted in. Gordon, who replaced senior co-captain Dan Parant at the top of the batting order, also had a stolen base on the day.

Freshman Kaleb Hutchinson was the third member of the Red to tally a pair of hits on the day, as he went 2-for-4 with an RBI batting cleanup.

With the win, the team feels like it can hit a hot streak going into the Gehrig division schedule. “It’s been a lot of tough breaks this season,” Vieweg said. “We feel like the way we played [in a 7-3 win] against Harvard is how we should be playing every game.”

Despite the fact that Red currently finds itself in last place in the Gehrig division at 1-7 against Ivy opponents, it is still in the thick of the playoff race. The Red is just three games back of Gehrig division-leader Columbia, who stands at 6-6 against the Ivy League.

Next up for the Red is Penn, whose 2-8 record against the Ancient Eight is good enough for third in the division. The Quakers are coming off a weekend in which they were swept by both Dartmouth and Harvard in a pair of doubleheaders.

The Red will travel to Philadelphia this weekend for two doubleheaders with Penn beginning at noon each day.

Archived article by Chris Mascaro
Sun Assistant Sports Editor