Dr. Drew to the Rescue

Dr. Drew Pinsky, host of the popular radio and television show Loveline, visited Statler Auditorium last night. Students were given the opportunity to ask any questions regarding sex, dating, drugs and alcohol that were on their minds.

Pinsky entered with words of encouragement for the Cornell community, “I was talking to some students and hearing about the life on campus here. It brought me back to my college experience and I assure you the misery your living through these four years will pay off,” he said.

“Yes they are kicking your ass. Yes they are working you harder then everybody else. But it’s the best thing you’ll ever do, I promise you,” he added.

He explained that the predominate theme among male questions is adequacy, while the popular theme among women questions is interpersonal experiences, like “what the fuck is up with men?”

Pinsky told students to appreciate differences between males and females. He explained that women want someone to be there, while men want sex. For men, “sex is pizza and all pizza is good,” Pinsky said.

Not everyone in the audience agreed with Pinsky’s statements.

“Lies. Men have more than one level of orgasms — it’s not all pizza,” said Nick Wagner ’05. The talk quickly turned into a question and answer session, with people carrying microphones fielding questions “Oprah style.” Over thirty questions were asked during this section of the program.

One student asked, “If dieting, what is the carbohydrate or calorie content of jizz?”

Pinsky replied, “4,000 calories a teaspoon” to which he laughed and then said, “Relatively nothing. Perhaps zero to eight calories, no carbohydrates.”

Various questions followed about semen to which Pinsky said, “Cornell, I will always remember you and how you’re preoccupied with the volume of semen.”

Another student followed with the question, “I’m in love with my Bio T.A. and he’s a grad student. Should I go for it?”

A firm answer followed, “Not until you’re done with class and there isn’t a boundary problem. As a teacher he has a responsibility and cannot have dual relationships. Teacher first, then enjoy.”

Audience response to the program was overwhelmingly positive.

“There’s not that many cool doctors. He definitely is,” said Josh Levy ’04.

The event was organized by the Cornell University Program Board, a student organization responsible for organizing six major lecture and entertainment events per academic year for the entire Cornell Community, which confirmed the event plans in early March.

“The crowd was really into the event. They got involved with the question and answer section. Overall everyone left a little more enriched,” said Marcy Patrick, chair of CUPB.

“I was John Q. medical student and had no plans to do any of this stuff,” Pinsky said.

Pinsky started answering medical questions as a radio host for KROQ in 1982, which turned into the popular syndicated radio program Loveline, a show that airs five nights a week on over 100 radio stations. Starting in 1996, he co-hosted Loveline on MTV, a popular late night program, with Adam Carolla. The show ended in 2001.

Currently, Pinsky is the medical director for the Department of Chemical Dependency Services at Las Encinas Hospital in Pasadena, California. He is a staff member at Huntington Memorial Hospital, has a private medical practice and is a clinical assistant professor of pediatrics at Los Angeles Children’s Hospital.

Pinsky remains involved with various professional societies and has many other medical credentials.

Most notably, Pinsky speaks to millions of young people about important medical issues. He has spoken at college campuses around the country such as Princeton, Stanford, John Hopkins, Georgetown, University of Pennsylvania and Vanderbilt.

Archived article by Annie Ceccarini