Test Spin: Broken Social Scene

Broken Social Scene is a band made up of fourteen, yes that’s correct, fourteen members. When you have fourteen different musical tastes fusing together to create an album, you would think that the only thing coming out of it would be chaos. However, that is completely and utterly incorrect; in BSS’s case the more musicians the better. Bee Hives is most definitely hard to classify as a certain genre of music. It gives off a lo-fi indie sound with a pop feel. Numerous saxophones, guitars, flutes, pianos, basses, and synthesizers flood the album as it delivers a hint of underground perfection in the musical world of mainstream artists looking to cash in at the bank. This album is a green thumb looking for recognition.

Upon listening to Bee Hives, I immediately thought of The Postal Service with a less electronic sound in exchange for instrumental exploration. Countless musical styles are heard on many of the tracks. In “Lovers Spit,” a faint piano starts off, slowly brings in muted vocals, and later incorporates bass and drums to create a genius blend of indie and jazz all in one. “Market Fresh” delves into the world of new-age pop, the kind of music that both you and your dad can agree on. Initially, it sounds like the same old soft alternative sound, but quickly adds depth with unique vocals and intricate piano solos. Though Bee Hives is only a collection of b-sides and demos, it’s an absolutely extraordinary follow-up to their last full-length, You Forgot It In People.

Archived article by Adrian Prieto
Red Letter Daze Contributor