Players Spend Summers Improving on Diamond

Although the start of the college baseball season is still months away, four Cornell players honed their skills this past summer, but with a twist.

Instead of pinging moonshots with aluminum bats, the players competed in summer leagues which only used wooden bats, making them some of the elite collegiate summer leagues in the country.

Junior infielder Seth Gordon and sophomore pitcher Blake Hamilton were teammates on the Holyoke (Mass.) Giants of the New England Collegiate Baseball League. Gordon, who batted .282 with a home run and 15 runs batted in for the Red this past spring, started 27 of 32 games for the Giants, and was third on the team in batting average, with a .286 mark.

Gordon posted 11 runs batted in over the summer, scored 14 runs, and showcased his speed by stealing 10 bases in 11 attempts.

Hamilton, a lefthander, led the Giants in wins, with three, and had a solid 2.59 earned run average, while recording 32 strikeouts. Hamilton also led the way in batting average against, as the opposition hit just .200 against him. For the summer, Hamilton gave up just nine earned runs and 31 hits in 31 1/3 innings pitched. Last spring for the Red, he made 16 appearances, posting a 1-1 record with 34 strikeouts.

While Gordon and Hamilton were nestled up in New England for the summer, sophomore outfielder Kaleb Hutchinson and junior William Pauly were on the diamonds on the west coast.

Hutchinson, a native of Vancouver, Washington, spent his summer playing in Oregon for the Portland Kings of the Pacific international League. In 29 games, Hutchinson smashed a home run and eight runs batted in. Hutchinson proved to be a solid hitter in the Red’s lineup last spring, as he batted .288 with three dingers, 17 RBI, and 22 runs scored.

Pauly, who transferred to Cornell last year, was slated to play for the Solano Thunderbirds of the California Collegiate League, but he missed the season due to an injury. This past spring, Pauly hit .306 with three home runs and 17 runs batted in, while posting a .424 slugging percentage in 42 games for the Red.

Archived article by Chris Mascaro
Sun Assistant Sports Editor