Lady Booters Gear Up

A 0-0 tie would seem to indicate a generally defensive game.

But don”t be fooled. The women”s soccer team took 14 shots in its scoreless match last week at Stony Brook, and Cornell kept the offensive pressure on for much of the day. Unfortunately for the Red, a tough goalie prevented the booters from converting their opportunities into goals.

‘Their goalkeeper was really excellent,’ said head coach Berhane Andeberhan. ‘We generated a lot of offense, but we just couldn”t buy a goal.’

Tomorrow, the Red (0-0-1) will look to make good on such chances when the team travels to Lafayette (2-2), in Easton, Penn.

Cornell last played the Leopards in 2002. In that game, the Red took 21 shots — scoring once, midway through the first half — before managing to hold off Lafayette”s second half charge. Cornell won 1-0 in the non-conference match.

‘We had a really good game last time [against Lafayette], and it could have gone either way. So it”s an even game. We match up very well,’ Andeberhan said.

Lafayette opened their season on Aug. 28 at the Banknorth Classic. The Leopards dropped a 2-0 match to New Hampshire and lost to host Vermont, 2-1. Last Saturday, the Leopards defeated Mount St. Mary”s 2-1, before demolishing lowly St. Peter”s, 5-0, on Monday.

Freshman Caroline Tuttle has scored three goals in only two games for Lafayette, including the game winner against Mount St. Mary”s. She had four shots on goal in that match.

The Red will also have to contend with sophomore midfielder Kelli McMahon, who already has two goals and an assist this season.

In net for the Leopards will be senior Amy Kalista. One of the few seniors on the relatively young Lafayette team, Kalista had a goals against average of 1.41 last year.

Cornell may also have to deal with difficult playing conditions at Lafayette.

The Leopards” field is located atop a hill, and the site can become like a ‘wind tunnel’ on bad days, according to Andeberhan.

With this year”s agile team, the veteran coach has been able to change the squad”s formations throughout the game. Last week, he utilized a ‘triangle’ attack, with junior midfielder Kara Ishikawa playing behind the two strikers. The new formation helped create scoring opportunities in the second half and overtime, and it may be used again.

‘It worked very well, and we generated a lot more offense with that,’ he said.

For the day, Ishikawa had two shots, while junior forward Shannon Fraser had a game-high four.

Andeberhan also noted that the team is working on its ‘attitude of attacking,’ and he emphasized the importance of the Red being more aggressive in its offensive play.

Archived article by Ted Nyman