Touring the Ivy League

This weekend was not a productive one for any of the Ivy League”s men”s soccer teams. Every team was in action, but by Sunday night, not one team managed an overall winning percentage better than .500.

Ivy squads found their way into three separate invitationals this weekend. The Adidas-Brown Classic in Providence, R.I., hosted by Brown; the Coco Cola Panther Invitational in Milwaukee, W.I., hosted by Milwaukee-Wisconsin; and the Duke University Classic in Durham, N.C., hosted by Duke. There were also a number of non-league matchups involving Dartmouth, Harvard, and Princeton.

At the Adidas-Brown Invitational, Brown lost its first game 1-0 to Clemson. The Bears outshot Clemson 14-5 — 9-1 in the second half — and held the edge in corners 11-3. Clemson forward Steven Rhyne scored the game-winner off his own rebound in the 27th minute.

Brown freshman Kevin Davies also created two big scoring chances, yet the Bears were unable to find the back of the net. in Brown”s second game, the Bears defeated the University of San Francisco 3-0. Davies scored once and junior Keith Cauldwell scored twice — from 35 and 60 feet — to tally the first goals of their respective careers.

Yale was also in action at the Adidas-Brown Classic. The Bulldogs lost both of their games — 3-2 to Clemson and 2-1 to San Francisco in overtime. Jake Miller and Lindsey Williams both scored in the Bulldogs” losing effort against Clemson. Versus San Francisco, senior Andrew Dealy put Yale ahead with a goal in the 21st minute, but the lead was short-lived as Clemson notched the equalizer in the 47th minute. The Tigers added a golden goal in 98th minute to put the Bulldogs away.

At the Duke University Classic, Columbia lost both of its games by a score of 1-0 — first against Duke and then to NC State. In the Duke match, Columbia managed only 7 shots — 2 on goal — to the Blue Devils” 19 total shots. Against NC State, the Lions were again outshot, 11-7, and lost a heartbreaker in overtime. The game was decided on a poor backpass to the keeper, which was picked off and finished by North Carolina”s Aaron King in the 93rd minute.

The Coco Cola Panther Invitational proved too tough for Ivy representative Pennsylvania. In their second game, the Quakers lost 2-1 in overtime to Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Justin Estrada scored in the 21st minute for the Quakers, but two goals by the Panthers” Craig Mallace put the game out of reach. Mallace”s winning goal came on a Quaker defensive error, which lead to a steal and the subsequent score.

In other Ivy League soccer action, Dartmouth tied Fairfield 1-1 at Fairfield, Conn. on Saturday night. Dartmouth committed 22 fouls in the game and its lone goal was scored by sophomore Mark Limpert from 16 feet. The shots were 8-7 in favor of Fairfield.

On Sunday, Harvard defeated Furman 1-0 on a goal by Charles Altchek in the 33rd minute. Both teams committed 23 fouls and there was a total of eight shots in the game. Furman held the edge in corners 2-1.

In Akron, Ohio, Princeton fell 6-0 to the Zips on goals from six players last Friday. Akron improved to 3-0 on the year, scoring three goals in the second half”s opening 16 minutes.

The Tigers were outshot 16-9 in the match.

Archived article by Josh Perlin
Sun Contributor