Field Hockey to Host Penn

After playing four games this season, the Red is going back to the beginning. With a record of 1-3 (0-1 Ivies), the Red believes it played the best in the opening weekend.

“We were in a tough situation against Columbia,” said head coach Donna Hornibrook. “They scored two early goals that should not have counted. That forced us to take some chances –Columbia had less shots in the second half but we gave up more goals. We were experimenting early in the season. We didn’t like the results so we’re going back and try to recapture some of the things we did in the first two games.”

The Red will try to begin the turn around tomorrow against Penn on Schoellkopf Field. The Quakers (2-3, 0-1 Ivy) are coming off a victory over Lafayette, who beat the Red 2-1 in the second game of the season. Depth and experience are a hallmark of this team. Last season, Penn flirted with a top-20 national ranking and are returning many of the players that led that squad including senior All-American Liz Lorelli. Lorelli set all-time Penn records in goals scored and total points last season. Saturday’s game will be very competitive and a great test for the Red.

“They are a good all around team,” Hornibrook said. “They’ve got some skill and some good atheism. We feel like we are going to match-up well against them — they play a formation similar to ours. They like to move the ball quickly and they are a very solid defensive team.”

The Red offense has played well throughout the season. Already the team has recorded 10 goals and is approaching the total from last season of 15. Sophomore Lindsay Moyer has been outstanding scoring four goals and dishing out two assists. Senior Sarah Wiener has contributed with three goals and an assist, while classmate and co-captain Gina Testa is always dangerous.

The defense has been where the Red looks to improve. The Red has surrendered the first goal in three contests this season and has allowed more penalty corners than they have taken.

“We need to start quickly,” Hornibrook said. “If you look at the four games we’ve played, we’ve given up goals early. We can’t do that. We can’t keep playing from behind. The first 10 minutes of the game dictates how the game develops. We also need to do a much better job defensively. We’ve given up way too many shots. All our problems are defensive and we’re really focusing on that.”

The Red opened the season with four games in six days. Saturday’s game will be its first in eight days and the Red hope the extra practice will make a difference.

“We’ve had a great week of practice,” said Hornibrook. “The attitudes have been great. We have yet to put a complete game together. Some games we’ve attacked well, others we’ve defended well. I feel like if we’re going to be able to get back on track this weekend is a key game for us.”

Archived article by James Rich