Career Fair Draws Large Crowd to Barton Hall

Over 80 companies gathered in Barton Hall yesterday for the Fall 2004 Cornell Career Fair, sponsored by Cornell Career Services. From 10 a.m. until 4 p.m., students toured the floor of the large venue that was covered with company stands and representatives recruiting potential employees.

A vast array of companies were represented at the fair, ranging from Microsoft and Merrill Lynch to Prudential Financial and Gap. Throughout the day, students weaved through the crowds and traveled table to table distributing their resumes and discussing future employment opportunities, as recruiters advertised their corporations.

While companies were not hiring on-site, the event was invaluable to students who met with company representatives and learned more in-depth information about different industries.

“The greatest value of the career fair is the face time,” said Demetra Dentes ’70, senior associate director of employer and alumni relations for Cornell Career Services. “Putting a face to a resume can make all the difference when companies decide which potential employees to pursue and eventually hire.”

Students have a distinct advantage by interviewing and learning about companies at the career fair because employers know the hard-working traits possessed by Cornell students. Because of this reputation, the Cornell Career Fair attracts many more employers compared to fairs held at other schools, such as Vanderbilt, Dentes explained.

Pam Fox, a representative for Watson Wyatt & Company, explained how the fair is useful to employers.

“We pursue individuals we meet here and are interested in,” Fox said.

Watson Wyatt & Company serves as proof that the fair creates opportunities. Amanda Folkman ’03, now employed by and recruiting for Watson Wyatt & Company, attended the fair while she was a student. Folkman claims the fair helped her learn about the companies from a more personal view which ultimately gave her an advantage when deciding what companies to pursue.

“The career fair definitely helped me get my job,” Folkman said.

While the fair is geared toward upperclassmen, students from all classes attended to learn about the companies and possible openings for future employment.

“I just wanted to see what companies and opportunities were here and what they had to offer,” said Tim Szwarc ’08.

The fair, which was aimed yesterday at students with general interests, will continue today with companies looking specifically for individuals interested in technical and engineering opportunities. With close to a hundred companies expected tomorrow, students will have had the opportunity to interview with over 153 different employers by the time the fair is completed.

Archived article by Carl Menzel