Stickwomen Attempt Weekend Turnaround

The Red is ready to turn its season around, starting Sunday. “We’ve been playing fairly well, we’re just not getting the results we want,” said field hockey head coach Donna Hornibrook. “We’ve definitely made some changes.” When the team faces off against Princeton, it will be a chance for a fresh start. Cornell is 2-8 (1-3 Ivy) heading into Sunday’s match against the defending Ivy League champions. Princeton has a similar record, 3-8 (2-1 Ivy), but has played a tough non-conference schedule, including losses to nationally ranked teams No. 19 Penn State, No. 11 Richmond, and No. 2 Maryland. “It’s been a bit of an unusual season [for Princeton],” Hornibrook said. “We feel like we can give them a good game, even though Princeton is still one of the better teams in the Ivy League.” Princeton has struggled this season in comparison to years past. The defending champions have won 10 straight Ivy League titles in field hockey. In the past decade, the Tigers have made nine appearances in the NCAA tournament, including four showings in the national championship semifinals. The Tigers are coming off a close 2-1 loss to No. 18 Virginia last weekend. Before a loss to Dartmouth this season, Princeton had won 66 of its past 67 Ivy League games. Despite this historical edge, the Red plan to give the Tigers a run for their money on Sunday afternoon.ZZ

“Our team’s attitude is incredible, pretty positive,” Hornibrook said. “In practice, they’re working hard, playing for each other.”

The Red hopes all that hard work will pay off against a formidable Princeton offense. Senior Kelly Darling leads the Tigers with four goals, with support coming from juniors Hillary Schimdt and Lauren Ehrlichman, who have scored three goals each. Two-time All-America senior Natalie Martirosian is always dangerous, and leads the Tigers with six assists this season. The defense is anchored by sophomore goaltender Juliana Simon, who has earned a 2.45 goals against average so far this fall.

“They play an unusual offense with four forwards,” Hornibrook said. “They have a solid midfield. They sacrifice an extra person in the back to play four forwards up front, which makes them a little more vulnerable.”

The Red is looking to get back on its feet after back-to-back losses to No. 17 Harvard and Providence this past weekend. Senior Danielle Dunn leads the attack with six goals. She gets help from sophomore Lindsay Moyer, who has scored four goals this season, and senior Sara Weiner, who has notched three goals so far. Junior Blair Corcoran is a key player on defense and offense, and has chipped in with four assists this season.

Hornibrook is confident the team is capable of winning this weekend, as long as they capitalize on opportunities and come out hungry to compete.

“As far as cohesion and staying the course, the team is doing that,” Hornibrook said. “The team can be positive and happy working with each other but they need more competitive drive.”

Archived article by Olivia Dwyer