Man Barricades Himself in House

At 9:33 p.m. Sunday, police responded to a wounded man who had barricaded himself at 608 W. Green Street, according to a police statement released yesterday.

“Upon arrival police learned that a man visiting the house reported to residents that he had been stabbed during a fight that took place at an undisclosed location earlier in the evening,” the report read.

The wounded man, identified as Jameel Melton, then fled from the first floor and entered the upstairs apartment, where he was found hidden under insulation in the building’s attic, according to the report.

“Mr. Melton refused to cooperate with the officers and barricaded himself within the apartment,” the statement read. “The IPD SWAT and CINT (Critical Incident Negotiating Team) were activated to retrieve Mr. Melton. After hours of attempted negotiations the SWAT team made an entry into the apartment at 6:30 a.m. on 10/26/04.”

Thomas Graziani, deputy chief of the IPD, told News 10 Now that the SWAT team tried every non-violent means at their disposal to extract the man during the eight-hour standoff, but eventually “utilized non-lethal gas and gained entry into the apartment” before taking the man into custody.

The station reported that the man was intoxicated at the time of his arrest.

The police report stated that the man was transported to Cayuga Medical Center where he is currently being treated for abdominal puncture injuries.

The IPD was not available to comment on this incident prior to publication of this article.

Archived article by Michael Morisy
Sun Senior Writer