Sprint Football Ends Season With Loss

The Red, with hopes of capturing a share of the Collegiate Sprint Football League title with a victory and a Navy loss, fell to Army Friday night 37-7 at West Point.

The key statistic in the Red defeat was the difference in rushing yards. Army has maintained a powerful running game all season, constantly posting over 200 yards a game on the ground. Friday night, the Black Knights were able to rush for 348 on 53 attempts.

The loss dropped the Red’s overall record to 2-4, and evened its league record to 2-2 to end the season.

Cullen’s squad was bombarded with a 20-point deficit after the first quarter. The Black Knights extended the lead to 27-0 before sophomore running back Michael Fullowan scored on an eight-yard touchdown run to cut the lead back to 20 points with under a minute to go in the half.

Fullowan was a lone bright spot for the Red against Army, rushing for 117 yards on 28 carries. Fullowan ended the season with 564 rushing yards on the season, which is currently good enough for third in the CSFL.

The Red offense was not able to click on all cylinders throughout the game, as the Army secondary stifled the Red passing attack. Junior quarterback Alec Macaulay, who provided four touchdown passes last week in an upset win over Penn, was unable to find a consistent groove with his receivers during the contest. Macaulay passed for just 72 yards, going 9-for-20 with one interception. He was sacked three times and Black Knight Logan Cloaninger returned his interception for 21 yards.

Receiver Jon Amoona, Macaulay’s favorite target over the past few weeks led the team with five catches for only 37 yards. The 37 yards was a far cry from the 101-yard performance last week, which included a 45-yard touchdown strike from Macauley.

On the defensive side, the Red simply had trouble containing Army’s versatile running attack. Braden Amigo led the way for the Black Knights — rushing for 114 yards on 14 carries — while Patrick Hall gained 84 yards on 12 attempts. Seven other Black Knights contributed to the relentless running attack by accumulating a combined 164 yards on 27 attempts.

The Red was also unable to launch a significant pass rush, as it had no sacks on the game, but freshman defensive back Cameron Johnson did recover a fumble forced by junior linebacker Brett Morgenstern, the Black Knights’ only turnover. Johnson led the way for the Red with six and a half total tackles.

Despite the setback suffered in the season finale, the Red was able to improve from last year’s record in league play, finishing 2-2 in the CSFL.

Archived article by Josh Fox