Penn, Harvard Remain Perfect

With three other league games last weekend, undefeated Harvard and Penn continued jockeying for the top spot in the Ivies during week seven. Yet, both teams only survived by the skin of their teeth as Brown and Dartmouth gave the league leaders a run for their money. Here is a look at last weekend”s Ivy League action:

No. 19 Penn 20, Brown 16

The Quakers almost crashed back to Earth as a Bobby Fallon fumble recovery and a nine-play, 88-yard scoring drive gave Penn its 18th straight Ivy League win. Brown was boosted by the play of running back Nick Hartigan (183 yards on 39 carries) as the Bears led in the fourth quarter with 13 minutes to play.

A 30-yard Jarret Schreck touchdown reception and three Steve Morgan field goals put the Bears ahead of the reigning league champs, but it would be short-lived.

Penn, which got on the board through a Sam Mathews two-yard run and a touchdown by wide receiver Dan Castles, re-acquired the ball on its own one-yard line after Fallon”s recovery.

With 50 seconds left in the game, Mathews scored the go-ahead touchdown, as the Quakers remained one of two teams undefeated in the League.

No. 15 Harvard 13, Dartmouth 12

The other undefeated team is Harvard, although they barely survived at Hanover, N.H. last weekend. The Crimson started quickly after a field goal and a 20-yard touchdown reception by Brian Edwards gave them a 10-0 lead at halftime.

The Green came back in the third quarter with a 60-yard Chad Gaudet run, but Dartmouth was unable to convert the extra point.

This came back to haunt them with 2:15 left in the fourth quarter. After Green quarterback Dan Shula completed a 12-yard pass to Bob Murphy, Dartmouth was unable to convert the two-point conversion, as the Crimson held on for its seventh victory of the season. Harvard quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick threw for 300 yards and a touchdown.

Yale 21, Columbia 14

A Columbia touchdown was all it needed to get back into the game against Yale. But, Bulldog safety Matt Handlon deflected a potential game-tying endzone pass to Lion tight end Wade Fletcher with 37 seconds left in the fourth quarter, giving Yale its fourth win of the season.

Yale put points on the board first, through a 13-yard touchdown pass by quarterback Alvin Cowan to Alex Faherty. In the second quarter, both teams tacked on 14 points as the Lions got back into the game with two touchdown receptions by Wade Fletcher.

However, both teams were unable to generate points in the second half — Yale accumulated a mere 48 yards of offense after the half. Cowan passed for 172 yards and two touchdowns, yet was intercepted twice.

Columbia running back Rashad Biggers rushed for 129 yards on 30 carries in the loss.

Next week, the Lions take on the Crimson and Yale plays Brown on the road.

Archived article by Brian Tsao
Sun Senior Editor