Women's Hockey Loses to Brown, Harvard On the Road

While the men’s hockey team earned victories against both Harvard and Brown at home, the women’s squad was forced to hit the road for its first Ivy contests — but emerged with a lot less success.

The team is now 0-2 to start its season after a 4-1 loss to the Bears (2-1, 1-0 ECACHL) in Providence, and an 8-2 defeat at the hands of the Crimson (2-0, 2-0 ECACHL) in Cambridge.

Friday night, Brown jumped out to an early 2-0 lead after the first period by taking advantage of its power-play opportunities. Keaton Zucker scored the first goal at 9:04 from assists by Jessica Link and Krissy McManus after junior Vicki Hodgkinson was whistled for an elbowing penalty. Just over four minutes later the Bears struck again on a power play, as McManus and Amy McLaughlin assisted on Myria Heinhuis’s goal, which proved to be th game-winner.

The Red narrowed the gap to 2-1 in the third period as junior Becky Fisher tallied her second career goal at 10:39. Yet that was as close as the Red would come as the Bears tacked on two more goals — one on a power-play — late in the game, to seal the 4-1 win.

While Brown went 3-for-7 on its power-play opportunities, the Red went scoreless on its three extra-player situations, and put just two shots on goal during that span.

For the game the Red was outshot, 35-11, and junior Flora Vineberg made 31 saves for the Red.

The next day, sophomore Beth Baronick made 42 saves against Harvard, but was pelted with 50 shots, as the Red fell, 8-2.

The Red hung in the game in the early going as Hodgkinson slipped a goal past Crimson goalie Ali Boe off a feed from classmate Emily Cabral to pull the Red within a goal. A trio of freshmen evened things up for the Red as Caeleigh Beerworth scored with assists from Brittany Forgues and Miranda Callaghan. The goal was the first points of all three women’s careers. Yet two goals would be all the Red would get the rest of the game.

The Crimson pulled ahead for good with just 42 seconds left in the first period as Sarah Villiancourt netted her first goal of the game. For the game, she had two assists to go along with her two scores. Harvard netted another goal in the second, and widened the gap further with four goals in the third.

Nicole Corriero, Villiancourt and Liza Solley led the way for Harvard, as each netted two goals in the contest.

The Red special teams again came away empty-handed in four power-play opportunities, while the Crimson went 3-for-8.

Next up for the Red is a two-game set with league-rival Union this Friday and Saturday at Lynah Rink.

Archived article by Chris Mascaro
Sun Assistant Sports Editor