Women's Hockey Hosts a Pair

The women’s hockey team will look to stay on the offensive this weekend, when the Red welcomes conference rivals Vermont and No. 2 Dartmouth to Lynah Rink. Cornell’s offense exploded for a 13 goal, two-game set against Union last weekend- winning 8-2 and 5-3. Ten different icers scored goals, and freshman Brianne Schmidt led the way with three goals. The Red (2-2-0, 2-2-0 ECACHL) saw contributions from all its lines, and several first-year players found the net. The strong offensive play was a welcome sight for a Cornell team that had great trouble scoring for much of last year.

Vermont (2-10-1, 0-4-0 ECACHL) is coming off two losses against Dartmouth. The Catamounts opened up play more than a month ago, but the early start has not resulted in wins. Vermont has struggled to score, and the team’s only two wins have come against lowly Sacred Heart. Vermont has dropped four straight games in November, all against Ivy League teams.

The Red swept the Catamounts last year, earning a 3-1 win in Burlington, Vt., and a 2-1 overtime win at Lynah Rink. Junior Vicki Hodgkinson scored the game-winner in that match, with just seconds remaining in overtime. It was the last game of the regular season for Cornell, and the win clinched a berth in the ECAC playoffs for the Red.

“They’ve been a pretty good rival. We had a really good [final] game against them last season,” said sophomore forward Caroline Scott.

Dartmouth (5-0-0, 4-0-0 ECACHL) will bring its high-powered offense and punishing defense to Ithaca Saturday.

“Dartmouth is always a hard game. They’re a tough, physical team,” Scott said. “Their ranking shows that they’re a challenge, but it’s a challenge we’re ready to face.”

She recently competed for the Canadian National Team at the Four Nations Cup, and consequently missed the Vermont games. Cornell head coach Melody Davidson – who is also the coach of the Canadian team — led Canada to victory at the international tournament.

Weatherston was one of the three Dartmouth forwards competing at the event.

Yet the Green still had little trouble dealing with the Catamounts. Junior forward Cherie Piper took over on offense, and she earned seven points in the two-game set. Dartmouth won 4-0 and 5-2.

Dartmouth goalies Kate Lane and Christine Capuano have split time in goal this year. Capuano has not been scored on, while Lane has earned a .927 save percentage.

Cornell’s goalies have also shared net time. Junior Flora Vineberg has put up a .860 save percentage, while sophomore Beth Baronick has earned .838 save percentage in two games.

Schmidt and freshman forward Caeleigh Beerworth lead the Red with three goals, while junior Jen Munhofen and senior Jamie Ramenofsky have both earned four assists.

Archived article by Scott Reich