Squash Alumnus Named USSRA Exec

Kevin Klipstein ’91, a former Cornell squash All-American, was recently named Chief Executive Officer of the United States Squash Racquets Association (USSRA). This non-profit organization is the national governing body and membership organization for U.S. squash which owns numerous national squash tournaments and supports the U.S. in international play.

“I am excited to have the opportunity to give back to the sport that I have so much passion for, and to the people who love and play the game,” Klipstein said in a past news release. “There is still work to be done to effectively support the membership in the U.S. and promote the game. Fortunately, there are hundreds of dedicated volunteers all over the counry. These are the people who are the foundation of what makes squash great in the U.S.”

Klipstein brings to the post not only a wealth of squash experience, but also an extensive business background. A four-year starter at Cornell, Klipstein led the Red to a 46-25 record over four years and earned second-team All-American honors as a senior. In addition, Klipstein continued to work with the sport after his playing days by working as a teaching pro before diving into the business world.

Klipstein comes to the USSRA from Sun Microsystems where he developed a background in event, brand and sponsorship marketing, as well as operations.

While at Sun, Klipstein worked on marketing projects for both Major League Baseball and the National Hockey League and hopes to use this experience to provide squash with wider marketing appeal.

“Much progress has been made in U.S. squash recently and I look forward to building on this foundation,” Klipstein said in a news release. “Squash in the U.S. is completing a decade-long transition from hardball to softball and is now well positioned for growth.”

As CEO, Klipstein will be in charge of all aspects of USSRA operations, including running national tournaments, maintaining the rankings, marketing and sponsorship, as well as programs supporting junior and urban squash.

“We are very excited to have a professional like [Klipstein] to lead the USSRA as we build on recent momentum and take the sport and the organization to the next level” said Ken Stillman, Board Chairman of the USSRA, in a news release. “His extensive experience both within the squash community and outside the squash world is an ideal fit with what the organization and the game need at this time.”

Archived article by Matt Gorman