Dean Appointed to Council

On January 13th, Lisa Staiano-Coico Ph.D ’81, dean of the College of Human Ecology was announced as one of the newly appointed members of the National Advisory General Medical Sciences Council.

Through her participation and years of experience with biomedical research, Staiano-Coico was appointed to the council by Tommy G. Thompson, secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

The National Advisory General Medical Sciences Council is a department of the National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) which is one of the institutes of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The NIH is a division of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The NIGMS supports biomedical research through funding research programs and training of research investigators. The National Advisory General Medical Sciences Council provides second level review of grant applications as well as provide advice on program policies, implementation and development. Members on the council are appointed to a four-year term and meet three times a year to review thousands of grant applications.

Before Staiano-Coico was appointed to the council, she sat on study sessions, review committees and participated within the NIH.

“I gained insight on what is successful and how to submit an application — it was a wonderful learning experience,” said Staiano-Coico.

Staiano-Coico has done considerable research on the biology and repair of skin cells.

“My whole career has been spent on burn injury, injury repair, acute wounds, and chronic wounds,” Staiano-Coico said.

She received her first research grant from the NIGMS the first year after her post-doctoral fellowship. “I had mentors to help write grants, to understand the procedure and get things in shape — mentors are key,” Staiano-Coico said.

It is very competitive to receive a grant from the NIGMS. The thousands of grant applications are given a scientific priority score and a percentile. The applications are reviewed and allowed only two revisions.

As the dean of the human ecology school, Staiano-Coico looks for ways to encourage faculty and provide opportunities for researchers.

“As a dean, [I believe] deans and colleges have to pay attention to provide opportunities for investigators to develop research,” Staiano-Coico said. It was through her vast experience in teaching and biomedical research that Staiano-Coico was appointed to the National Advisory General Medical Sciences Council.

“We nominate established scientists who have a breadth of scientific expertise in areas of expertise important to the mission of the Institute.” said Ann Hagan, associate director of extramural activities at the National Institutes of Health.

Archived article by Cheryl Mensah
Sun Contributor