Women's Soccer Remains Undefeated After Two Wins

The women’s soccer team managed to stay undefeated this past weekend, earning two non-conference wins at Berman Field. On Friday, the Red beat Canisius, 3-2, before defeating Lafayette, 4-0, yesterday.

Cornell (5-0-0) had some early opportunities against Canisius (1-6-0), but the visitors were able to score the first goal of the evening. In the 16th minute, Christina Cullen found the net, giving her team a 1-0 lead off an assist from Lindsay Benson.

But the Red would come back in the 33rd minute, when freshman Megan Joerger recorded her first collegiate goal. Although the two teams went into halftime tied, Cornell took far more shots in the half, leading 17-5 in that category.

Senior Kara Ishikawa broke the stalemate in the 63rd minute, giving Cornell a 2-1 lead. The Red seemed to have the game under control when poor weather hampered the team’s momentum. With less than 15 minutes remaining in the game, the action on the field was delayed on account of lightning.

“It was hard on us because we were getting so many chances [before the delay],” said sophomore defender Leslie Campbell.

The teams came back on the field after a 100 minute wait, and Canisius would soon capitalize. Amanda Janosky was able to find the net in the 84th minute, and the game was tied, 2-2.

But Cornell would regain the lead a minute later, when junior Caitlin Oliver scored her second goal of the year. Junior Kaitlin Dufton was credited with an assist, and the goal would prove to be the game-winner.

“It’s good that no matter what happens, we keep fighting,” Campbell said. “We’re confident enough to come back from being down.”

Canisius would have one last try to find the net, when Janosky fired a shot with 30 seconds remaining in the game. Luckily for the Red, the shot bounced off the left goal post, and Cornell was able to clear the ball out.

Freshman goalie Jessica Lebo had four saves for Cornell.

There was less drama yesterday, as the Red looked strong in its win over Lafayette (1-4-2). Senior Shannon Fraser opened the scoring for Cornell, tallying a goal in the second minute of the game. Ishikawa was credited with the assist.

“Everybody just came out pretty focused,” Campbell said. “We were organized, and Shannon’s early goal put Lafayette back on their heels right away.”

Fraser would score again in the 18th minute, when she netted a beautiful header off a pass from Ishikawa.

Ishikawa would also register a goal, scoring off a free kick by junior Jessica Schindler in the 26th minute.

Dufton would then give Cornell a 4-0 lead in the second half, when she netted an unassisted goal in the 62nd minute.

The Red took 29 shots in the game, while the Leopards managed only five. Freshman Taylor Hendren and junior Katrina Matlin both played in net for Cornell. Matlin recorded two saves, while Hendren did not have to contend with any Lafayette shots.

The Red will open its Ivy League season Friday night, when Cornell welcomes Columbia to Berman Field.

Archived article by Ted Nyman