September 20, 2005

Fire Evacuates Donlon Hall

Print More

A room fire on the fifth floor of Mary Donlon Hall caused the evacuation of the dormitory at approximately 7:45 p.m. last night.

According to resident advisors, the fire was caused by a pair of pants left hanging on a lamp. No one was in the room when the pants caught fire, and no one was injured.

Five fire trucks were sent to the scene, along with a ladder unit and an ambulance. “The dispatch went out as a full assignment, and it was then upgraded to a second alarm,” said Ithaca Fire Chief Brian Wilbur.

“The ladder was used to get above the fire floor,” he added.

“We were smelling smoke for about 20 minutes,” said Jack Kroeger ’09, who lives across the hall from room 534, where the fire was located.

Kroeger said that a resident tried to put the fire out with an extinguisher.

According to firefighters, the fire was contained by the dormitory’s sprinkler system.

Archived article by Eric Finkelstein
Sun Managing Editor