Boston's Reign on Professional Sports May Be Ending

Last year, as I watched my beloved New York Yankees pull the biggest choke job in sports history against the Red Sox in the ALCS, all I could think of were the two tremendous mistakes that were made, which jinxed the Yanks.

The first was a column I wrote last year stating the reasons why Boston’s curse would continue, and the second was committed by one of my fraternity brothers, who brought a broom with him to the bars the night the Yankees took a 3-0 series lead.

Well, this year I am going to be smarter about things – hopefully. I’m not going to say that the Red Sox are going down in flames – yet. No, it is a little too early for that – I think. So, essentially what I am saying is this – I think that the city of Boston’s reign of terror might be over. And that means you too Patriots.

I mean, let’s be honest people, when is the last time that Tom Brady and Curt Schilling have looked like average professional athletes? When is the last time that the Patriots looked flustered on a football field, as they did in their 27-17 loss to Carolina last Sunday? And when is the last time the Red Sox actually won the division? Crap, I told myself I wouldn’t say anything to jinx the Yanks.

Anyway, let’s go more in-depth into the reasons why the Red Sox might not even make the playoffs. First, closer Keith Foulke is on the shelf for the rest of the season, which means Mike Timlin, who gave up three runs to Tampa Bay in just 1/3 of an inning on Wednesday night, will assume the closer’s role. Yes, Timlin might be the better pitcher, but he’s had two blown saves in his last five outings and this season, the Yankees have hit .364 off the right-hander.

Second, Schilling, the ace of Boston’s rotation, is 7-8 with a 5.89 ERA, so don’t expect another “bloody sock” miracle. Damn, I’ve got to stop.

And third, the Yankees are hot right now, winning 11 of their last 13 games, and that shouldn’t change, as the Bombers head into a series with Toronto before heading to Baltimore for a four-game set.

Well, enough Red Sox bashing, because I suppose they are still in the playoff hunt.

Now, onto America’s Team, that’s right, the New England Patriots. I could care less about being too cautious about insulting them, because I am not a Jets fan, my Giants play in the NFC.

So, how in the world does Pro-Bowl running back Corey “not today nor tomorrow” Dillon have just 99 rushing yards in two games and only 2.7 yards per carry? I think New England’s offensive line should stop worrying about the next credit card commercial they can get in with Brady and start concerning themselves with getting a running attack.

Also, members of the media have defended the Patriots for their decision making and coaching, but I think that they might have gotten burned this off-season because of their enlarged egos.

Losing Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel have made Bill “the man in the hoodie” Belichick a little bit more like the average bear in terms of football intellect. And letting cornerback Ty Law go to the Jets coupled with the loss of Tedy Bruschi (not the front office’s fault) has made the New England defense a lot less scary.

The other problem for the Patriots is that they might be facing a 1-2 record after a tough game against Pittsburgh on the road and that Indianapolis, New England’s whipping boy for the past couple of years, could finally be ready to beat up their AFC counterparts.

Luckily for the Patriots, they still have 14 more games to right the ship, the Red Sox have just 10 with the Yankees up by a full game – and that might just spell disaster for the Nation. But you didn’t hear it from me.

Archived article by Christopher Mascaro
Sun Sports Editor