Students Charged With Surveillance

Three freshmen were charged with unlawful surveillance in the 2nd degree and conspiracy in the 5th degree following a week-long investigation yesterday, according to a University statement. The three were arraigned yesterday in Ithaca City Court, the release stated.

The three students – identified as Remy P. Garson ’09, Peter A. Cook ’09 and Gregory B. Kubin ’09 – are accused of conspiring to videotape a sex act with a fourth student in Garson’s Clara Dickson Hall dorm room in the early morning of Oct. 16, the press release stated. Garson allegedly verbally harassed the fourth student as she left the room. He was also charged with 2nd degree harassment, a violation. Unlawful surveillance is a Class E felony, and conspiracy is a misdemeanor.

Simeon Moss ’73, Cornell press office director, said that he believed the three had been released on bail bond. None of three were present in their rooms last night, nor did they return phone calls.

One of Garson’s hallmates said he heard Garson swearing loudly after a girl left the room early on on that day.

Moss said that a fifth student, an acquaintance of at least one of the defendants, saw the tape and told the Residence Hall Director about it on Tuesday. The advisor then informed CUPD, which investigated.

One of Kubin’s hallmates said that the three had been suspended.

Moss said that since the students were referred to the office of the Judicial Administrator, he could not comment on whether or not they had been suspended. Under the University Campus Code of Conduct, the University president or a designated representative has the “discretionary power to suspend the accused person temporarily pending the hearing of charges against him or her by the University Hearing Board.”

Moss said that the case has also been referred to Tompkins County District Attorney George Dentes ’76.

Archived article by Michael Morisy
Sun News Editor