Sprint Football Set to Host Army

The sprint football team (3-3, 2-1 CSFL) is searching for its first share of the league championship since 1986.

With a win at home tonight against Army (3-2, 2-0), and an Army victory against Navy next week, the title would be split three ways. Navy has steamrolled through its schedule this year, beating the Red twice, by scores of 41-0 and 7-0, while the Midshipmen have not allowed a touchdown all year. The Red would guarantee a share of the title as well with against the Black Knights and a Navy loss at Penn tonight.

“Obviously ending the season on a high note with a win is the goal,” said head coach Terry Cullen. “We haven’t won a championship here in about 20 years and that is definitely part of what’s been driving us this year and this week.”

The final game of the year means that it will be the last time the team’s seniors will be in action. Quarterback Alec Macaulay has rebounded from an injury-riddled 2004 season to become the squad’s regular starter. He has posted a quarterback efficiency rating of 78.21 this season and has completed 32.7 percent of his passes. He has also thrown for 557 yards with four touchdowns and seven interceptions.

His leadership has been an important aspect of this team all year, according to Cullen, and his strong play of late has led the team to two straight league victories over Penn and Princeton.

“We go as far as Alec takes us,” Cullen said. “The quarterback is the leader and I’m glad to have an experienced senior at that position.”

Another departing senior is Jon Amoona. The wideout has led all Red receivers this year with 216 yards through the air, two touchdowns and an average of 35.0 yards per game. Amoona’s explosiveness was shown in the last game, as he caught a 59-yard touchdown to open the Red’s lead over the Quakers to 14 points.

“We did open up the field against Penn,” Cullen said. “But Army is a tough, hard-nosed team that is strong against the run and runs the ball well.”

To win the game, Cullen will be counting on his strong rushing attack, featuring junior Mike Fullowan – who is questionable for the finale – and senior fullback Ben Herzberger.

“If Fullowan can’t go, we’ll be counting on [senior and Sun Sports Editor Chris] Mascaro and Herzberger to pick up the load.”

In addition, the Red will have to stop Army’s running attack, with its strong defensive line. “Our defense has been our strong unit all season and they’ll have to play strong up front against Army’s running game.”

Kickoff tonight is for 7 p.m. at Schoellkopf Field. Should the Red win tonight, all players will be tuned in to the Army-Navy game next week, which will be on ESPNU, to see if its title hopes will become a reality.

Archived article by Josh Fox