Campus Couture

If you were stranded on a deserted island and you could only bring with you one thing, what would it be? Our first inclination would be to say Julian McMahon, but being the oh-so-practical girls that we are, we then thought of our most treasured fashion and beauty essentials. We asked a few people this very same question and compiled a list of our absolute favorite items. We would rather be shark bait than live without them.

Eye Candy for Gilligan
Any girl, and actually every guy for that matter, loves the gravity-defying effect the Victoria’s Secret Very Sexy Push-Up Bra gives. It comes in an array of colors from basic black to Moulin Rouge-worthy magenta. You never have to worry about unsightly seams and it can be worn with even the most plunging of necklines. Make sure to get measured before buying this bra, because squeezing into a too-small size gives you a very Anna Nicole NOT Tyra Banks look.

For Mrs. Howell
We make-up wearers of the world know the value of good mascara. Trying to find one that won’t make you look like a rabid raccoon is about as torturous as trying to study for that neurobio final in Olin during a chimes concert. Even if you aren’t a fan of makeup, mascara is the one thing every girl should wear. A good one not only defines your eyes, it keeps you from looking like you have spiders for lashes. We highly recommend Estee Lauder Magnascopic, which has never been surpassed by any other brand in our opinions.

For the Skipper
Need shoes that can be worn in pouring rain without causing the wearer to wince in fear? Sperry Topsiders are the unequivocal masters. They are simple, clean looking and can now be found in colors as delightful as light pink and blue. Originally meant for sailing the open seas, these shoes would keep the feet of the ultra preppy looking cute and feeling comfy on our deserted isle.

For Marianne
Despite the fact that one apparently is a favorite among exotic dancers (we were recently told, we swear!), Chanel Chance and Michael by Michael Kors are two very sultry perfumes that will make any frat guy’s collar pop. Though they are expensive, beauty comes at a high price, and these are definitely worth every pretty penny. Try not to bathe yourself in them before going out the door, because you’ll only succeed in suffocating those around you. A light subtle spray is all that is necessary with any good perfume.

For Ginger
An island girl needs some long flowing Shakira locks to get her through those hot and humid days, but rarely can one find a product that will yield such miraculous feats. Fortunately, for those of you stranded, we’ve found John Frieda’s Ocean Waves Sea Spray to tame your unruly tresses. It gives you a low maintenance beach breeze tousled look that can be worn elegantly both day and night. This little ocean in a bottle saves you the hassle of going to the beach and torching your tresses in the hot summer sun.

For the Doctor
Nothing is worse than sun scorched lips that feel as rough as the sand caught in your bikini bottoms. Luckily the Doc has come to the rescue with the all-purpose Rosebud Salve. This pot of gold not only works as the BEST lip balm on the face of the planet, it also can double as a hand salve for dry fingers. You can get this hidden treasure at Sephora or Urban Outfitters, and we recommend buying two, just in case you lose one.

Archived article by Maria Panagopulos and Joanna DiCostanzo
Sun Staff Writers