Squash Teams Play a Pair

Both the men’s and women’s squash teams will look to rebound from disappointing starts to their respective seasons with away matches this weekend.

The men will be up against stiff competition in the form of Harvard (2-0), the defending Ivy League champions, and Bates (1-0), who shutout MIT in its season-opener.

On the women’s side of the draw, the Crimson (2-0) finished second in the Ivy League last year, while the Bobcats defeated the Red twice last season.

The senior trio of Matt Serediak, William Cheng, and Matt Greenberg will lead the men into battle. After a disappointing start to the season, in which the squad lost 7-2 to Penn, 6-3 to Western Ontario, and 9-0 to Princeton two weekends ago, the Red hopes to rebound this weekend in Cambridge, Mass. Serediak, a preseason second-team All-America selection, has been the Cornell’s most reliable player thus far, with wins in two of his three matches to date this season. Coming out of the nine-spot, senior Brad Mosier has also contributed two wins this season. Stalwarts Cheng and Greenberg have been held winless thus far, and will look to pick up their first wins this weekend against their rivals from Harvard.

After a successful season, in which it went 9-7 and finished ranked No. 6 nationally, the men’s squash team hopes to return to their winning ways and rebound this weekend. However, the Harvard squad has been impressive this season, with a pair of 9-0 sweeps of Ivy foes Brown and Dartmouth in their first two matches.

The Crimson’s roster features four preseason first-team All-Americans, including junior Siddharth Suchde and senior Will Broadbeånt, who anchor a deep Crimson team. The Red will square off against Harvard at the Murr Center at 11 a.m., followed by a match against Bates at 3 p.m.

For the women, the freshmen duo of Maxi Prinsen and Alex Cornett, and senior Cory Warfield will lead the Red into action this weekend. The women, after being swept 9-0 by both Penn and Princeton, will look to turn around their season and improve upon their performance this weekend. Harvard will pose a formidable test for the Red, as they have a deep roster, stacked with three preseason first-team All-Americans, and two second-teamers. Leading the way for the Crimson will be freshmen Jen Blumberg, sophomore Kyla Grigg and senior Lindsey Wilkins. The time of the match is set for 11 a.m. at the Murr Center, followed by a date with Bates at 3 p.m.

After this weekend’s slate of matches, the women are off until Jan. 20, when they will face Bowdoin College, Yale and Brown over the weekend. The men will also resume play on the same day, as they will face Trinity, Yale and Brown in a three-day set of matches.

Archived article by Jeremy Drucker