Skorton To Be Named Cornell's 12th President

Cornell will officially announce and introduce its new president at a noon press conference Saturday. The meeting will take place in room 196 of Statler Hall’s Beck Center following a closed session of the Board of Trustees.

According to the Des Moines Register, Iowa City Press Citizen and New York’s Press and Sun-Bulletin, University of Iowa President David Skorton is expected to be named Cornell’s 12th president.

Tommy Bruce, vice president of university communications, would not confirm Skorton’s name.

Skorton, 56, held the top post at the University of Iowa for just under three years and was a member of the faculty and administration there for 23 years. He is a physician and researcher.

Amir Arbisser, a Regent at the University of Iowa and close friend of Skorton, said Skorton told him in a phone call Thursday that he is resigning to take up the Cornell position.

According to Arbisser, Skorton recently led a $1 billion capital campaign at Iowa.

“[Skorton’s departure from Iowa] is going to leave a hole here, and its an extremely difficult decision to make, but the bottom line is it’s extremely hard to be a president at a public university and [Skorton will] have a freer hand at a private university like Cornell,” Arbisser said.

Skorton is Cornell’s second president to come from Iowa. His predecessor, Interim President Hunter R. Rawlings III, was Iowa’s president until he moved to Cornell in 1995.

Check www.cornellsun.com on Saturday for an updated story and see Monday’s Sun for a special supplement commemorating the announcement of Cornell’s 12th president.

With additional reporting by David Wittenberg.

Archived article by Melissa Korn
Sun Senior Editor