W. Hockey Falls in Two Over Weekend

Women’s hockey (5-13-0,1-11-0 ECAC) lost twice this past weekend as it struggled to find any kind of offense against two of the nation’s top teams. Cornell fell to No. 3 St. Lawrence, 5-1, and then found itself on the short end of a 3-0 game at the hands of ninth ranked Clarkson. The lone goal scored by Cornell on the weekend came on the power play, as sophomore Brittany Forgues scored her second goal of the season, ripping the puck past St. Lawrence’s Meaghan Guckian.

The Red was overmatched and outworked against the lady Saints, as it spent 20 minutes in the penalty box and paid for it dearly.

The Saints scored four of their five goals on the power play, with two coming from Crystal Connors. Forgues scored at the 8:38 mark of the second period after St. Lawrence’s Kerri Wallace was sent to the box for roughing.

The game was spent mostly in Cornell’s end of the ice as the Saints out-shot the Red 39-22.

The Red also struggled against Clarkson, where they failed to score a goal for only the second time all season. The game was scoreless after one period of play, but the Golden Knights would eventually score the game-winner at the 8:11 mark of the second period when Ashley Shaidle put the puck past senior goaltender Flora Vineberg. Three minutes later, Clarkson extended the lead to two as Christine Bailkowski scored her fifth of the year. Sophomore Beth Baronick played in goal for the Red during the third period and stopped 16 shots.

The Red continues its six-game road trip next weekend when it takes on Brown and Yale.

Archived article by Sun Staff