M. Lax Defeats Binghamton

The No. 6 men’s lacrosse team dispelled the claims that 2006 would be a “rebuilding” year after losing three of its top-4 scorers and 11 seniors to graduation in 2005 with a resounding, 16-3, win over Binghamton on Saturday.

Cornell was led by an eight-goal performance by junior attack David Mitchell.

Senior attack Derek Haswell recorded four goals and two assists while classmate Joe Boulukos notched four points of his own, as the Red rode an 11-0 run over a 26:59 span to put the game out of reach.

“I thought we played well in stretches,” said Cornell head coach Jeff Tambroni. “I think you evaluate yourself on a couple of different levels. One, you evaluate yourself on how you did – win or lose – and certainly, we were pleased to get off to a good start and to have beaten Binghamton, which has given us a little trouble in the last couple of years.”

Knowing that a potential pitfall in the form of the visiting Binghamton (0-1) squad could pose plenty of trouble, Cornell (1-0) took advantage of a pair of Bearcat penalties in the first quarter to go ahead.

After Bearcat Tom Wilmot received a one-minute for slashing, freshman midfielder Max Seibald found a wide-open Haswell, who scored from close range. Less than two minutes later, on another extra-man opportunity after a Sean Meluney 30-second holding call, Boulukos zipped a pass down low to Mitchell, who doubled the Red’s lead.

“We put a lot of emphasis on our extra-man [play] this year because we thought it was one of the worst things we did last year,” Tambroni said. “As successful as our offense was at times, it was anemic in extra-man opportunities