AMD President Presents Duffield Hall Study Alcove

Dirk Meyer, president and chief operating officer of Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), paid his first visit to Cornell yesterday, cutting the ribbon to a $50,000 study alcove in Duffield Hall.

“Any successful business is about the quality of the people it has,” he said. “We decided a few years ago to focus our recruiting on the top universities, including Cornell.”

That focus has benefited Cornell greatly: yesterday’s donation brings the total value of AMD’s monetary and hardware donations up to $180,000.

Additionally, the world’s second largest supplier of x86-compatible processors employs about 30 Cornell alumni, according to Prof. Clifford Pollock, director of the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering.

He thanked AMD for its generosity and emphasized how critical Duffield has become to Cornell.

“It’s become the heart of engineering and we’re thankful for your help in that,” Pollack said.

It was a meeting between Pollock and Abeezer Tapia ’02 that sparked the annual donation a little over three years ago.

Pollock had asked a group of alumni to come back and speak about their experiences and give advice. Tapia decided to return and give back a lot more, convincing AMD to donate 40 new computers.

Tapia spoke fondly of his time at Cornell, but noted that Duffield’s grand atrium was a huge step forward from the cramped offices of Carpenter.

“When you leave Cornell,” he said, “You get a really strong bond to this place. You establish a relationship for this institution that’s given so much back to you.”

In addition to sponsoring the study alcove, AMD gave a $15,000 server to the school. Clarissa Dhliwayo, corporate relations assistant, said that she was not sure yet how the computers would be used.

Archived article by Michael Morisy
Sun News Editor