Notre Dame Squeezes by W. Lax

No. 17 Notre Dame used an early second half run to build on its lead, and No. 18 Cornell was unable to claw its way back into the game as the Red dropped a 17-15 decision in women’s lacrosse action yesterday. The Red managed to hold the Irish scoreless in the last 10:09 of the game, but in the end, it could not muster enough offense to match Notre Dame’s explosive attack.

Cornell (1-1) knew entering the game that it would have to face a formidable offense, as Notre Dame (4-0) has averaged over 17 goals per game so far this season. Heading into the game, the Irish had three players with at least 15 points on the season after only three games played, led by senior Crysti Foote’s 23 from 16 goals and seven assists.

Notre Dame surged to a 4-1 lead nine minutes into the game, prompting Cornell to take a time out. Cornell responded after the timeout, with sophomore Courtney Farrell scoring three goals in the span of nearly aone minute to tie the game at four.

However, Notre Dame tallied six of the next eight goals in the contest to go up 10-6. Foote scored four of those goals and finished the half with eight points on five goals and three assists. Her eight-point performance tied a school record for points in a half.

Sophomore Noelle Dowd would score and then assist on Farrell’s fifth goal of the half to cut the Red’s deficit to two. However, the Irish scored a goal 21 seconds later to close out the half with the lead, 11-8.

Coming out of the intermission, Notre Dame scored six of the next nine goals to take a 17-11 lead with slightly over 10 minutes left in the game. Cornell controlled the game the rest of the way, getting two goals and an assist from junior Allison McKeown.

The Red closed out the game on a 4-0 run, but time expired before the team could fight its way back and force an overtime period.

Farrell finished with five goals, while junior Margaux Viola added three goals and an assist in the losing effort. Sophomore Katherine Simmons had two goals and junior Alison McKeown had a goal and an assist to help the Red’s cause.

The outcome of the game was not determined by any glaring mismatches or incongruities. Rather, statistically, the two squads, were fairly evenly matched over the course of the game.

Both teams took the same number of shots, 30, and committed 26 turnovers. Notre Dame held a marginal advantage in draw controls (17-16), saves (8-6), ground balls (26-22) and fouls (25-23).

Archived article by Jon Hausner