Softball Set for Two Invitationals

The softball team will follow the migration of Cornell students south this Spring Break, but rather than taking flight to Mexico or the Caribbean, the Red is headed for Deland, Fla., to play in the Stetson Invitational, and and will then travel to Kissimmee, Fla., to compete in the Rebel Games. Head coach Dick Blood and the Red will have their hands full as they face off against stiff competition in games against Hartford, Wisconsin-Green Bay, Ohio, and Vermont during the two tournaments.

The Red will start off its Florida road trip at .500 with a 5-5 record. Cornell is looking to extend its two-game win streak during the tour in Florida.

At the Rebel Games, the Red will first see Hartford this coming Monday. The Rebel Games will be Hartford’s first action of the 2006 season, after a 2005 campaign in which the Hawks finished 17-18 2005.

That afternoon, Cornell will take on the Wisconsin-Green Bay. The Phoenix had a Cinderella season in 2005 – beginning the year picked as the preseason favorite to finish last place in the Horizon League and ending the year winning the conference tournament. However, Wisconsin-Green Bay is lacking six members from that title squad, as graduation took its toll on the roster.

On Tuesday, the Red will see Hartford for a second game, followed by Ohio later in the day. Ohio is coming into the tournament with plenty of experience under its belts, having earned a 9-9 mark in the preseason, with wins over Bucknell, Army, and UNC-Greensboro. Senior Emily Futscher is leading the Bobcats with 13 RBIs and will be an offensive threat to Cornell’s pitching staff.

The Red will continue play throughout the week, going up against Vermont in its first contest on Wednesday. The Catamounts have a 4-6 record thus far in 2006, and are led by pitcher Alison Daggett, who has a 1.15 ERA. Cornell will have a second shot at Ohio in the afternoon game that day.

Rematches will continue for the rest of the week, as the Red will run into Wisconsin-Green Bay and Hartford on Thursday, and Vermont and the Phoenix once again to cap off the Spring Break tour on Friday.

Blood will lead the squad into these two tournaments on the hot arms of senior captain Whitney Smith, sophomore Jenn Meunier, and freshman sensation Haley Mirrer. Senior captain Caitlin Warren, sophomore Andrea Forrest, and freshman slugger Meghan Risica have paced Cornell at the plate in the first 10 games.

Archived article by Lance Polivy