M. Polo Team Faces Texas A&M

After a convincing 27-9 victory over California-Davis in the first round of USPA nationals, the men’s polo team is now primed to face No. 1 seed Texas A&M in tonight’s semifinal.

Texas A&M received a bye in the first round and will make its first appearance of the tournament against the Red.

The Aggies have two gifted players in junior Mason Wroe and senior Marty Salinas, both of whom have started for A&M for three years. Wroe is considered one of the best players in the country.

“They have been performing very well as a team. [Wroe and Salinas] know one another very well,” said Cornell head polo coach David Eldredge ’81. “Wroe is a very classic, high-quality player.”

The Red, who will be huge underdogs entering the game, tried to make a statement with their performance on Monday night with an emphatic 29-7 win over California-Davis. The Aggies – who lost to Cornell in last year’s semifinals – watched the Red’s thrashing from the stands.

“I think they have respect for us,” Eldredge said. “That game gave them a little idea of what we can do.”

Still, because of the blowout, Cornell was not able to reveal all of their capabilities.

“The game could not bring out all of our strong points,” Eldredge said. “It didn’t show everything we have.”

Cornell has been plagued all season long by inconsistency and the inability to put together the complete game. The Red knows that they will need the whole package to knock off the Aggies.

“We are going to have to play our game for four chukkers,” Eldredge said. “This is the time we need to do it because we can’t plan on them making a lot of mistakes.”

The winner of the game will play for the national championship on Saturday afternoon.

Archived article by Patrick Blakemore